Life jacket or no?

anyone ever had their toddler fall in the pool? i'm asking because i had my 20 month old in the pool and my entire family said she needed a life vest... now, sure i'd have her in a life vest on a boat but, if she's in my arms and there are other adults in the pool, i feel she is completely fine without one! each time we would put it on her, she would scream and whine. i also don't want her to get used to having it on and not realizing that's what is actually keeping her afloat? I'd love to hear opinions on this subject!

Sweetpea78c

Asked by Sweetpea78c at 4:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We don't use one if we are holding my 2 yo. We work with him on floating, kicking his legs, etc. in the pool and he doesn't wear one then, but otherwise if we are in/around the pool he wears his Stearns Puddle Jumper - best flotation ever!

Answer by missanc at 4:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I would use one, and have with all of my kids. They are all great swimmers now. It is for the best for your toddler. Safety first.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I would use one. Those little ones can be quick. She may get in the pool without anyone seeing and drown within minutes,
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My boys grew up around my mom's built in pool and were not allowed out by the pool w/out a life vest until they learned to swim like fish! They will get used to it. Better to get used to it & deal w/ a little whining now- then the alternative! Please MAKE HER WEAR IT!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• No, not normally.
    But once they get strong enough to use one of those bathing suits with the floaters in it, I use them. Or we use those arm floater thingys.
    When the kids are really tiny they can't keep their head above water with those.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I agree with pp. But if you think about it most of us grew up without having to use one. I think all depends on the kind of pool, how many people are in the pool, and weather or not your child is comfortable having it on.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 4:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• AWAYS!
    Anonymous

• we have an in ground pool and i make my 18 month old wear one. Can't be too safe... What if you set her down on the ground for one minute to retrieve a ball or grab a drink of water from the patio table. just saying...
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 4:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• even in my arms? wow... i'm usually so over-protective but, i feel like if i'm holding her/playing with her or have her in a float, she would be fine...

I definitely see what everyone is saying though... i think i definitely will be if it's in a public place or i am not in the pool... i still feel like if i'm in the pool, she would be ok in my arms...
    Sweetpea78c

Comment by Sweetpea78c (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• i used the floats they could sit in or the suits and arm things, but have never put my kids in life jackets except on a boat... might start swim lessons soon though...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2011