Why oh why? (raw skin)

I have a very healthy rather rollie pollie 3 month old son. Dr's say he is doing great, but at our last appt I forgot too bring up his neck roll issue.....he has a somewhat rotten odour in the roll and it is red and raw now. We put baby powder in it and it only clumped up making a nasty paste. we dry it numerous times a day and he is bathed 3 times a week most weeks simply because of the odour.
Any tips on how to solve this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had that and I put vaseline on it
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My first son was like that! He was such a little chunk butt and he had roll after roll on him,lol. He too had the neck gunk.I used to put some baby oil on a cotton ball and rub between the rolls then I would use another cotton ball to dry it then I'd put cornstarch baby powder in my hands and rub it between his fat,lol. I did that several times a day..its the only thing I could do.
    Good luck..and don't worry..in time...the fat rolls go away and no more issues are there,LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My dd got a yeast infection in her neck once and it was very similar to what you describe- red, kind of seemed like it was just weeping a smelly liquid, it was kind of gross. I tried putting powder on it but turns out yeast feeds on the corn starch in the powder so I just made it worse. Anyway, we got a cream for it I think and it cleared right up.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• maybe he has some spitup while sleeping so it went to his neck. Make sure you clean it as much as you can and mix aquaphor and the 1% anit-itchy cream on.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• All of my kids had that too. I would use a clean baby washcloth and wipe it out, then hold their chin up to let it dry - multiple times a day. If we were out & about for the day, I'd use a baby wipe to wipe it, and again let it dry. I used NOTHING on it, just clean water & air, and it would heal up in just a couple of days. I did notice that having a bib on them while they were drooly made it worse/happen more often, so we steared clear of bibs most of the time, or changed the damp bib/shirt often, to keep the whole area dry.
    Anonymous

• I just cleaned it and used diaper rash ointment. Try to keep milk from getting in it. A snug bib may help a lot, but obviously not too tight.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 8:53 AM on Jun. 3, 2011