Is stammering a sign of genius?

Nice attempt at cover.

It's not that Obama can't speak clearly. It's that he employs the intellectual stammer. Not to be confused with a stutter, which the president decidedly does not have, the intellectual stammer signals a brain that is moving so fast that the mouth can't keep up. The stammer is commonly found among university professors, characters in Woody Allen movies and public thinkers of the sort that might appear on C-SPAN but not CNN. ...

Obama's problem is not that he's an intellectual (for the sake of argument let's define it as someone who is scholarly, broadly informed and distinguished as a thinker). It's that he sounds like an intellectual. Unlike other presumed political brainiacs - Bill Clinton or Newt Gingrich, for example - he isn't able to bury his ideas behind a folksy regional accent or good-old-boy affectations when he wants to.

By speaking as though he hails from everywhere, he ends up being from nowhere. The result is that people look at him and see not a Hawaiian or a Chicagoan or even a black man, but a university man.

Of course, the president enables that stigma by stammering his way through town hall meetings and other public dialogues as though they were philosophy lectures. Irritating? Sure. But inarticulate? Sorry, folks, but you'll have to find another adjective.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-oped-0527-daum-20110527,0,4993330.column

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 4:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I read that article and I just shook my head and giggled. It's now a sign of genius, but when Bush did it, it was because he was an idiot. Well, you can't have it both ways, which is it?

I think they are finding out their idol isn't as smart as they thought and they are looking pretty desparate to cover it up.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• He really annoys you, we get it.
    Anonymous

• I think he's pretty typical of most politicians and I wouldn't consider the whole lot of them genius. JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• The only person I knew in real life who stuttered/stammered was an in-law and he was not a genius. This Blog was done in jest, I'm sure.
    Yes, we DO know he displeases you. :-)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Oh puuulllllease! LOL They will come up with anything to try and cover for him. I suppose the man never belches and his poop smells like roses too!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I've always heard that to be true. My dad has an IQ over 150 and had a stammer corrected by speech therapy as well as my son who is at 146.

Anonymous

• Do you really want to pick apart Obama's speaking abilities after his predecessor made a mockery of the English language?! -LOL

Thanks- I needed a good laugh today!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Now you HAVE to laugh at that
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Now you HAVE to laugh at that

Answer by itsmesteph11 a minute ag
    ____________
    What?! That you voted me down? I REEAAALLLYYYY DONT CARE!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• GWB's use of the English language was an embarassment . Obama is much more articulate and has a much wider vocabulary . His critics are clearly dumbed down by watching too much Fox TV
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2011