Have you ever felt like this when you read sad stories about abused children?

I would love to be a social worker and be able to help those poor babies but I know I would be a mess if I were. I would be crying all the time and want to take every child home with me! Kwim? Being a social worker would be a hard job!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm a social worker. Working in child welfare, which is the arm of social work that deals with abused children, is not the job that I chose. But I did run across a few. It does make you angry. But there are a lot of factors to consider, and believe me, after you have gone to school to get a Master's degree, you wouldn't lose it over some slob who beat his or her kid! I have worked with medically fragile children, and you do get sad, we even have something called compassion fatigue in our profession, which is like burnout. But you have to have your own life and good boundaries. It's not so much helping other people as helping them to empower themselves. In the case of working with children, you are really working with their parents.

Anyway, if you want to help kids, be a mentor to one. Volunteer at your child's school, or any school. Volunteer with the scouts, or your church. Kids need lots of caring adults in their lives.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You do not have to be a social worker to help. Donate to charities set up just for helping abused and neglected children.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I wanted to be a social worker but I'm like a mama cougar. If I see a child getting hurt and know whop hurt them I will go after them. Reason why I didn't go into law enforcement when I had the chance. I would kill any SOB that did harm to a child. I have a hot temper when it comes to children getting hurt.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• @ pookiekins34...I agree there are many ways to help!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Stories of abuse have always bothered me, but now that I have a child they really make me just sick to my stomach. Sometimes I have to change a news story because I just can't handle it. The people who are there to try and help these poor children are real heroes- social workers, counselors, teachers, foster parents. I really hope someday to be a foster parent and to be able to offer even a temporary respite for these children to know as much peace and love in life as possible. I just don't get how people can be cruel to children. It is perhaps the ugliest side of human kind that exists.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My aunt was a social worker and she said she said it was the hardest job ever. I agree with everything you said.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I work with children at my son's school and the ladies are right you don't have to be a social worker to make a difference in a child's life volunteer do whatever you can to help there are Summer programs that can always use volunteers. Kids need the love and caring from an adult.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• i would love to but then i would want themall to come home w me and my house isnt big enough for all of them
    budda646

Answer by budda646 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2011