What do you do to get rid of the smell from pets having accidents?

My dog is almost 12 years old. She has cancer, and is on her last legs. So, no suprise she has no bladder control. We keep the mess cleaned as much as possible, but how do you go about keeping the smell from building up? I have even started shampooing the carpets every other week and you can still detect it when you walk into the house.

SweetMsMills

Asked by SweetMsMills at 4:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Home & Garden

• we had a dead bird in our house and the smell was unbearable i cleaned scrubbed lysoled and then my husband read about this stuff called odorban the smell was gone immidietly you can pick it up at home depot it really works and it smell good to
    lillymom828

Answer by lillymom828 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I've used straight vinegar on cat urine. The smell of vinegar (along with the cat urine) dissipates in about 12 hours. I've even used it on cat spray, which is stronger. I read somewhere that alcohol works, too, but I don't like leaving something poisonous to the cats on the floor and/or walls.
    MissKathleen297

Answer by MissKathleen297 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Use a hypodermic needle and inject vinegar underneath the carpet into the pad after you clean the mess.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 5:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I'll have to go look for some. What is it? Like a powder you sprinkle or what?
    SweetMsMills

Comment by SweetMsMills (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Dog diapers.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:06 PM on Jun. 1, 2011