Dogs

i have a 9mnth old daughter and we are thinking about getting a dog around her first bday she loves my moms dog any sugestions? my husband really wants one and so do i and as i said my daughter loves dogs

lillymom828

Asked by lillymom828 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Pets

• Are you wanting a small dog or medium size?
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I would seriously consider rescue type pooch. Because you go to somewhere like the Humane Society they will know the dogs temperment and can give suggestions on what breeds are good with kids. Have you seen that show Dogs 101 they have a wealth of info on which dogs are best in which type of family situations. Lots of luck!!
    Sincerely,
    Love my rescued pooch Master Splinter!
    Gmama17

Answer by Gmama17 at 5:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I don't like recommending breeds because the ones I might like may not fit the next persons lifestyle or family.

http://www.codefromjames.com/dogquiz/     Start with one of these quizes They are not 100% but they are good at giving you an place to start in your search. 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I agree with KyliesMom, u need to see what kinda pooch will fit u and your family according to your lifestyle, not the "cutest dog in the whole place!!" lol Some dogs do not like kids at all, some will get overly protective, which BTW is not a good idea. When one thinks the dog is being protective is seen thru the "humans" eye, in the dog world its dominance over his pack. The dog will still protect his humans, but he still will need to listen to u when u tell him no or stop whatever behavior he is doing. If he is being the dominate one, he will not listen to u and he may snap, or bite at the "stranger" to protect his pack. When u pick th pooch, take him to obedience classes is another great idea. Don't forget to neuter or spay the new edition to your family!! Doing this may prevent any problems down the road and save u grief. Also its myth a dog gains weight after, if he does, its the humans fault if the dog does.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• IMO, one year old is too young. Wait a while. She is going to get more curious and stronger at 2 and 3 and 4. I had my hands full with my son and my dog. I had the dog first, then the baby. Never left them alone in the same room, because I was always worried he would fall on the dog by accident, or something. You don't want to have an accident and have your beautiful daghter end up with a scar on her face because the dog was woken up by a child wrong or something.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Get the same breed as ur moms dog. I do not believe each breed has a specific temp. I have a huskey a Lab and a Dauchound....they all are veyr loving...but the lab is very hyper gl!!!
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 4:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2011