new drug in town

would like to know how many moms have found out their kids are taking the new thing now (corcidian and mucus meds) if so need help on how to handle this....this is new for me

browneyes61

Asked by browneyes61 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• New? That's been around.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• What are they Cold meds?
    JamiesMom08

Answer by JamiesMom08 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Thankfully my oldest son is homeschooled and I dont need to worry much about drug use since hes home all day. My middle son and oldest dd both go/went to reg high school though and I caught my dd with prescription drugs she had bought at school. I also found letters where she had written about buying them and from who. I grounded her, called the kids parent who sold them to her, then took the letter to the school who in turned called the police and arrested the kids involved.

Answer by gemgem at 3:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Humm I would think they would only give you a up high... Hate to hear that kids are going to our medicine cabinets to get high... Scary !!! Almost anything is a drug these days...

JamiesMom08

Answer by JamiesMom08 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Home schooling does not make your kid immune to drugs or alcohol or anything else. Don't fool yourself. If your child has friends or is involved in sports or even church groups then their is opportunity for exposure. You can't know what your child is doing 100% of the time. Don't get me wrong I am all for home school. I just hope you have not settled into a false sense of security with it. You should still know what you are up against and talk to your child about where you stand on it.
    Anonymous

• I have heard of kids using the coricidan. My friend saw a 17 year old take an entire box of it and he basically overdosed. He was having convulsions,lost control of his urine, bowels, and every other oriface. His friends jusst sat there and watched him doing nothing but laugh These are dangerous times I have a 14 year old and it isnt easy.
    DIANE463

Answer by DIANE463 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I'VE HEARD OF THAT we have to stay on top of these things, also if you find lolipops in their rooms don't think it's just candy, it's moriphine did you know that one? empty rolls of tp paper, they smoke thru that,coke cans can be used to smoke pot thru too.
    Anonymous

• If your child wants to use drugs and experiment they will find a way. Have drain cleaner? Have any spray cans or paint around? There is ALWAYS a way. Homeschool doesn't mean a thing. All your kid has to do is look around the house. You have a computer and this homeschooled kid knows all about how to get high without ever leaving your house or having to buy it. You bought it for him. So the answer, imo, is to educate and talk, talk, talk to your child/children. Even then it is a scary, they tend to have minds of their own. Awful isn't it? They make choices that have nothing to do with the choices you want them to make. You do the best you can and that is all we can do.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• you go to all ur local stores and give them a pic of the person ur speaking of and say dont seel these things to him and aslo talk with him do councling spend more time get involved more with them keep a good eye on what he does and with who where he gos check his things this is seriouse get involved for sure pray about this get some help now befor it leades to herion and more
    trena_gurney

Answer by trena_gurney at 11:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I have thought about this. I have a lot of rx meds in my cabinet and my dh and I decided to go ahead and lock them up. I have pain pills and ambien and muscle relaxers. Stuff I don't want her in. As far as the OTC stuff, like cold meds or huffing, I have talked with her about. Basically, I told her if I ever caught her I would kill her or beat the crap out of her rear end....LOL...I know...not the best conversation, but I think she got the message for now. It will be an ongoing convo. Also keep track of any noticable behavior changes in her. When my daughter just looks at me funny, I start questioning her....I try to be very observant.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:58 AM on Dec. 11, 2008