How do I feel joy?

I am 37 years old and pregnant. I'm scared about it, and it's hard to feel any joy about this baby. I don't know what to do. I've always been told you are supposed to be happy, but I don't feel it. We are having our ultrasound on Friday to see the baby and determine the gender, I hope that I will feel better about it then. I just don't know. Is this hormonal? Am I crazy?

amw529

Asked by amw529 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• This is so normal. Its just nerves and a lot of hormones. Hormones are brutal sometimes and they make us feel so weird. We even act on emotions that come out hormonally and then the next day wonder why we were feeling that way. Just realize that feelings are not facts. YOu know you love this child and once you find out your babys gender, you can put a name with the face and be able to bond more. ITs gonna be alright.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:49 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• im 21 weeks and STILL scared outta my mind... i have all sorts of worries..but in the end..i know ill do just fine...the waiting keeps me nervous
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 3:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• well are you scared cause of ur age? do u have any other kids?
    Anonymous

• No this is my first and it was not a planned pregnancy (as I had one ovary removed two years ago, our chances were much slimmer), although it will be a loved child.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Despite what you have been told, what you are feeling is very normal. Not all moms have that "Oh boy, I can't wait" excitment. And no, feeling this way does not mean you are a bad person, will be a bad mother, or don't love the child-to-be.

Becoming a mom is a huge change. Everything that was important to you before will either take a backseat to the new baby or may even be pushed right out of your life. Your relationship with the father will change drastically too and the change is rarely smooth and easy. For the rest of your life, you will worry about someone else. No, it doesn't end when they grow up and move out, as your own mom will tell you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My last pregnancy was accidental and in the middle of a divorce. I didn't want a another baby with my husband, but I couldn't abort. I wasn't even a little happy during my entire pregnancy. This was my 2nd child. I was sooo happy with my first. I ended up leaving my husband and having my baby alone. I was very afraid that I wouldn't love this baby because of how I felt during the entire pregnancy, but when he was born and I saw him for the first time..............love washed over me instantly. He's 14 yrs old now and I've never regretted having him and can't imagine my life without him. Don't worry mom. You'll be fine. Being scared is a good sign. You have to care to be scared.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 3:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2008