ACLU pushes for porn for SC prisoners

The American Civil Liberties Union is pushing for porn at a detention center in Moncks Corner, South Carolina.

The move came after reports surfaced that the facility only allowed inmates to read the Bible. But prison officials said that isn't true and inmates have a wide variety of reading material at their disposal.

The ACLU said it wants prisoners to be able to read and view pornography. Lawyers for the jail said that just won't happen.

"If they don't like the wording in some of our policies, we'll be happy to try and create better wording for them. But, there are certain issues that we're just not going to be able to bend on," said Sandra J. Senn, an attorney for the Hill-Finklea Detention Center in Berkeley County.

Officials believe porn will lead to more assaults and create a hostile environment.

A preliminary hearing on the matter is set to take place next month.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=8162220

Has the ACLU finally gone too far or do you agree with this?

DSamuels

Asked by DSamuels at 6:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Ahhhhh geee. I think they have gone to far but seldom do they not. Ok I can see those in this detention center being able to read other things besides the bible but porn? Not a good idea for any reason.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I almost ALWAYS agree with the ACLU... on this, I don't. Jail shouldn't just be a country club. Sorry, no porn for you.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 6:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• And i bet they wonder why so many people think they are a crock!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I my opinion, it is disgusting. Prisoners shouldn't have fun in jail.( And I hate porn anyway....so I am kind of biased .)
    but does ANYONE think prisoners should enjoy their time in prison?I don't.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• What they should be thinking is what they have done. They should just be doing nothing.
    Anonymous

• last time I checked, my country club didn't offer porn with the dues.

So, No, jail doesn't become a country club with porn thrown into the mix. It becomes a place where forced anal sex will become more frequent than guarding your divided lunch tray 3 times a day.

Anonymous

• surprisedeye rolling

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Just another reason to add to the list of why I hate the ACLU.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Okay, I want to clarify- they should have access to newspapers and books. Just because they are prisioners doesn't mean ALL their rights get taken away. They should be informed about what is going on in the world, and they shouldn't only be given bibles- that's unconstitutional- but porn and gossip kinda things- no. That's enjoyment. that shouldn't be part of jail.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 6:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

And the article said they are NOT only given bibles to read, they DO have other things. The ACLU wants them to be able to read and view porn.
    DSamuels

Comment by DSamuels (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2011