What do contractions feel like?

Everybody has been asking me if I've been having braxton hicks yet. I'm 35 weeks and honestly not sure if I've been having them yet. I really don't think I have because I'm pretty sure I'd know if I'm having them, right??

Sorry first time soon to be mom..

jessiskinner200

Asked by jessiskinner200 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• A really hard and intense cramp.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• If your tummy gets hard (you will know b.c it pushes everything else out of the way lol) and dosent hurt its b/h. real ones not only get hard, but its like a period cramp x 100 and it affects your whole body (makes you tense up)
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 6:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Like the baby is trying to turn over. It can be uncomfortable and sometimes it doesn't bother me at all.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I am 33 weeks and know what you mean. I haven't felt anything either. My doctor told me that some first time moms, don't even feel the braxton hicks contractions, and that its totally normal. Your body is doing it. Or will be soon. When you have real contractions, you will totally know! Sometimes though, I feel this really non painful tightening in my stomach and it gets really hard for only a few seconds. My doc says that is probably braxton hicks. So if you feel that... then maybe you do feel them!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 6:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• So how would I know if I've had them if it just feels like a cramp?
    jessiskinner200

Comment by jessiskinner200 (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• During my first pregnancy, I had Braxton Hicks for weeks and didn't know it. I thought the baby was trying to stretch out. For me, they weren't painful, but my belly got tight and hard feeling. This would last for a few minutes, then relax.

When I actually went into labor, it was like really intense menstrual cramps.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 6:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My contractions, at first, felt as if someone had a rope tide around my stomach and would pull it tighter and tighter than let loose after a while I don't remember. I guess I blocked that part of my memory bank. Good thing bc I wouldn't of had my second and want a third.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 6:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Don't ever be sorry for askig a mommy question. With my 1st I didn't ask questions bc I didn't even know what to ask. Now I go to the dr. with a list of questions.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 6:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Aw thanks fellow mamma's I really appreciate everything.
    jessiskinner200

Comment by jessiskinner200 (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• contractions and the strngth of them varies from person to person. you may start out having them and not even know. with me they started out feeling somewhat like muscle spasms. not really hurting but just strong enough to be noticed.
    vancy2010

Answer by vancy2010 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2011