Asthma in a 5 year old

My 5 year old son has severe asthma. I also have asthma and so does his brother, but his is as bad as mine is. He takes 7 medicines a day including 3 inhalers. He was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis and chronic rhinitis and the doctor said that once we got it controlled things should change and he should get better, but things have not. He still has at least one flare up a week and I spend more time at the doctor than not. So, I was wondering if anyone knew of any natural remedies to help his asthma. If you do please let me know.

2_amazing_boys

Asked by 2_amazing_boys at 6:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Wish I could help you. Heres a BUMP for you!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 7:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Do you have heavy-duty air filters in your house? Is your house the culprit? Meaning, do you have carpet causing problems, unseen mold or bug issues, things like that?
    Anonymous

• I would look at all your cleaning & laundry prod & bath soaps, etc. All the stuff you get at the store (even some of the ones that are s'posed to be "natural" etc.) are filled w/ harsh & harmful chemicals! I switched my stuff to this catalog store & my asthma is much better! (Have to admit, it wasn't as bad as his seems to be.)
    Another prob (I found out the hard way--thanks old neighbor--NOT!) can be cockroaches decaying bodies, etc.
    Let me know if you want any help w/ the catalog store option.
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 9:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Another thing I just remembered--local honey every day! If it wasn't made from your area, it won't contain your local allergens.
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 9:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• yes- try local made honey- and use it in tea use it to flavor carrots at dinner make PBand HONEY sandwiches for lunch- the goal would be 2 get in 2 teaspoons per week into your son and 2 tablespoons into you to get the desired effect

also try these 2 ideas-- see an allergist-- inherited asthma is r/t envioronmental allergies they are the expert and yes I do think 5 ma be too young to test b/c his body will change and what is sotoday may not be so in 5 years but he may prescribe leukotrine reduction which is awesome

see a pulmonologist

these 2 peeps are the experts and pediatricians and PCPs seem to only know basics
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My dad has severe asthma and allergies, and some of his triggers are dust, pollens, pets, fragrances... What I would suggest is put your son's mattress in plastic, dust/vaccum daily, consider getting an air purifyer or air filter, change soap and laundry products to 'fragrance free', if you have pets have the child wash his hands right after touching the pet (so he does not pet dog and touch face and transfer pet dander to face). I can't think of any other suggestions right now....
    My dad sees an allergist, and a pulmonologist. He is on meds, has inhalers and he has a breathing machine (I think nebulizer) that he uses.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:05 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• They have done 2 allergy tests and both have come back negative for anything other than mild allergies. I've completely went hypoallergenic eventho they said he doesn't have them. He currently sees an ENT and an Allergist, both from a children's hospital, once a month. I haven't tried the local honey so that's something new that I can try. I'm just fresh out of ideas. I'm hoping since he's out of school for thesummer that things will get better. We are going for nasal surgery in 2 weeks to clean his sinuses but I'm not really sure if that is the best thing. It's kind of a last resort, bu thanks for all the suggestions and please keep them coming I will try just about anything.
    2_amazing_boys

Comment by 2_amazing_boys (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• here is some studies about asthma... http://www.cellmedsoc.org/research_archive/studies_worldwide.htm#asthma ...i hope it could help...
    3pippings

Answer by 3pippings at 5:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• bump
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My husband suffered from asthma and so did my son - I switched all of our cleaning products to Melaleuca - within 2 weeks their symptoms all but disappeared. I also had suffered from Migraines and since switching I noticed that they had stopped. I did a little experiment and used some old cleaning products that I hadn't thrown away - within 15 minutes I felt a migraine coming on! Needless to say - I threw out the old cleaning products and will never use anything else but Melaleuca. If you would like more information please contact me. Do whatever you have to - to get your son off medication!
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2011