My two year old needs to have his Tonsils removed and tubes placed in..

I don't want him to have tubes in his cause what if when he is older he wants to become a pilot or something else? You can't have anything wrong with your ears and if he has scarring or hearing loss from tubes I would feel horrible for allowing the surgery.
He has had alot of ear infection but I think if he just has his tonsils and adnoids removed it would help him with the ear infection. ( Adnoids swell and add pressure to the natural tube in your ear and that is why fluid doesn't drain.) I am afraid surgery and I don't want him to have anything done.. I just don't want to do something that will effect his life when he is older. I know that getting tonsils and adnoids removed will help him breath and stop causing him to choke. I just need advice and what would you do if it were you child and they had to have thme out..
( tonsils and touching and he is choking on his food, he only wants soft stuff and has lost weight, his ear infection and happening so often that if he continues to have antibiotics his body will become amunined to it.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Health

• We had adenoids removed and ear tubes put in when my daughter was 19 months. Exactly one year later, the adenoids had grown back and we got them removed again and also the tonsils this time. Also one ear tube was replaced, but she didn't have any problems with ear infections during that year. I think the adenoids were the root of the problem. How often has he had ear infections?
    Here's a tip, too. when he has a runny nose, give him a dose of benedryl at bedtime- helps keep the fluid from sitting in the ear growing bacteria.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 6:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I would DEFINITLY address the here and now! He is having issues and I would have the tubes put in -- period. Do you have any idea how bad he feels with all of those ear infections NOW? Not to mention, he is 2 -- he will change his mind a hundred times before he decides what he wants to be in 2o plus years! My DD has tubes and has NO SCARRING! As soon as we had the tubes put in, she began THRIVING! She has no hearing loss, no scarring, and NO EAR INFECTIONS!!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I had all 3 surgerys done when I was 5. It made a huge difference and I would do it if I was you. I think the benifits out weigh the risks. If you decide to do it I wish your baby the best!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• If the doctor is recommending it, it is usually a must. ENT's nowadays, actually push against surgery unless it is absolutely necessary. So, if the doc is saying it, it is because they feel like your child's development will actually be in danger without the surgery.

I would do it.

My daughter just had tonsils and adenoids removed last week. Hers were huge. She was always in pain . . .had trouble breathing.

You would not believe what a difference it is to have that throat space opened again!!

I would do it.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It's easiest to have it done all at once but if you say no, they can't do it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• If I was in your shoes (worrying about the future "what ifs") I'd go ahead with the tonsillectomy & adenoidectomy but put the tubes on hold. T&A recovery takes about 2 weeks. After that I'd go to the chiropractor, then give him 2 months and see how the ears do. If he still has ear problems, do the tubes - I'd rather do tubes than deal with more ear problems. I know how it is with the T&A, 2 of my kids had it done, but none needed tubes. The only thing is, if he does end up needed the tubes, requring a 2nd (very fast) surgery, that's double the cost for you.
    Anonymous

• Ex-RN here:
    I had LOTS of ear troubles - long before tubes came along, & ear-drums have ruptured 3 times each. You have FAR MORE SCARRING from ruptures than w/ tubes! And, talk about the PAIN! I STILL remember how much it hurt!
    Hearing is IMPROVED if the "gunk" that is in there is REMOVED, so the sooner the better! The "gunk" dries & hardens & can permanently "glue" the bones that are s'posed to move as part of the hearing apparatus.
    My son had less problem learning how to speak clearly than my niece--he had his 1st set of tubes @ 10.5 months, then again at ~ 20-22 months, she didn't get them until 4 y-o or so. Although now you can't tell a diff (they are 28y-o) - they both sound a bit like they're from NY & we all live in Oregon!
    DO IT!!
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 9:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2011