I know this is probably a silly question

but my boyfriend asked me this last night what does your water breaking look like? is it clear? does it have a smell to it? how will we know when im in labor...and i cant remember the other questions he had...ill probably add more later when he calls me
(imma first time mommy to be and this will be the first labor he'll witness, he wants to know what to look for lol he's the oldest out of 4 kids)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It's NORMALLY clear and has no smell. And you really should know.
    MedicMommy

Answer by MedicMommy at 7:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• i use to worry about how i would know if i went into labor...and how everyone always says oh you will know lol.. well my water broke with my 1st and i had a planned c section with my second.. To me contractions hurt worse then braxton hicks so thats one way and when they are consistant. It can be clear.. im not sure if it changes IF the baby poops in you or not but they test that. some women leak and some have a big gush..i dont remember if it had a smell or not. i didnt have to clean it up lol.. eww
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• my doctor hasent told me anything about it yet....only thing she told me(which was last time i went in pretty much lol) was if i get period cramps except a million times worse then i should come in
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• my water broke at home with my to youngest girls. it is somewhat similar to warm water running down your legs. from what i remember it was clear and really didnt have a smell to it. the thing to remember is that even though your water breaks it could still be a little while before the baby actually is born.
    vancy2010

Answer by vancy2010 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Mine was a little cloudy, but was colorless. Trust me, you will know when you are in labor. The contractions/pressure/etc is just "different." At least it was for me. I also want to add that when your water breaks it will most likely not be the big gush that Hollywood is so fond of portraying. That can happen, but all of the women I personally know had their water more leak. When mine broke it came in "mini-gushes" with each contraction. I swear, every contraction I felt like I peed myself.

I would suggest you pick up a pregnancy book or sit down with your ob for a long chat about these types of things before you get any closer to your due date.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 7:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• lol i know what to look for XD *IM* not completely clueless

my boyfriend was the one asking the questions...even though i was kinda curious on how the water breaking was supposed to look lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Amniotic fluid can have a slight bleachy smell but it is usually odorless & colorless. If it is any shade of green or looks "poopy," the baby may have had it's first bowel movement already & you need to call your care provider ASAP (it happened to me with my third). If you think it has broken but you aren't sure, try changing positions. Like, lie down for 10 minutes then stand up. Sometimes the changes in position can make the fluid flow differently & you will know it was your water breaking as opposed to urine. Good luck!
    SaraBeth1204

Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• when you water breaks, it feels like you are peeing yourself and cant stop it, my water broke with my first when i was getting ready to go to bed, i was like oooohhh crap thats what that looks like...lol
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• when your water breaks it will feel slightly oily. it should not have a color or odor. As you get into the end of your pregnancy you will get used to a miriad of odd pains. one day, you will start getting really really really really really really bad pains. that is how you will know that you are in labor.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Ex-baby RN here:
    It should be clear--yellow or green is VERY BAD, a sign of FETAL DISTRESS!!!
    It shouldn't have much odor--odor CAN be very BAD, a sign of INFECTION!
    It can be a gush that really has some power behind it or just a heavy "trickle."
    If your H2O breaks, lay down flat until you are assured about baby's position--you DON'T want the umb cord to "PROLAPSE" as this compromises the blood flow to the baby = VERY, VERY BAD!!
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 9:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2011