Dog Park bathroom Etiquette

Ok, I hate to be gross here but this happened to me this morning & I just need to know if I handled it correctly. I took my dogs (golden retriever & standard poodle) to the off leash dog park. Before I realized it, the retriever was having a very runny bowel movement in the grass. I had a poop bag but there was nothing to scoop! I poured some water over it to at least get the grass a bit clean. We left immediately afterwards. I would never have taken him if I thought he was sick but he was find earlier in the morning & gave no indication of an upset stomach & he has been find the rest of today. Thankfully, the park was pretty empty but what would you have done?

SaraBeth1204

Asked by SaraBeth1204 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Pets

• I carry a little bag with some sand or dirt in my pocket for this, so if it happens just dump it on the spot and it's taken care of.
    starfire59

Answer by starfire59 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• That is fine, at least u attemped to clean up, many others wouldn't even have done that. Congrats!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• puppy

Sometimes when dogs get nervous or excited, they get... runny. I bet they have been fine since, right? (at least, I hope they're all right!) You did what you could. I would have done what you did, but without the strum and drang! Take a breath, it's not like the dog park police are coming to get you!

dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• you did the right thing, but should have stayed and let them play. you were a good mommy! most in our dog park watch them poop and don't bother to pick it up. I go on sunday w/a poop scoop to clean up everyone else's messes.
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 9:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2011