Would I eligible for unemployment?

My workplace is changing my hours starting next month, and I am not able to work those hours because my husband works second shift and I have no childcare at all.

My old hours are 7am-3:30pm and now they are being changed to 11:30am-8:00pm and my husband works 3:30pm-midnite so there is no way we could make this change. I am planning on quitting and looking for another job. So do you think I would be eligible for unemployment while I'm job hunting? I heard that unemployment is only if you get fired but they are pushing me to quit basically, I don't want to, I love my job! I am very sad and angry about all of this.

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• No, I do not think this makes you unemployment eligible.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• no you aren't eligible for unemployment if you quit.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 7:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Nope, you will not be able to collect unemployment.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 7:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I went on the site and this is what it said:

I had to quit my last job - am I eligible for unemployment?

If your separation from your last employer was for anything other than layoff, we will have to conduct a fact-finding interview by phone and secure information from you, your employer and any other relevant parties before we can determine your eligibility. No payments can be made until we have issued a decision, and that decision allows benefits. Until we know all of the circumstances about your quitting and the job you quit, we can't tell you whether you'll be eligible.
    GomezMami2908

Comment by GomezMami2908 (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I really doubt it. They will have to make the determination of whether changes in your hours were reasonable on the part of the employer and whether a reasonable person would accept that change. I think that they would think it was reasonable to seek child care for the overlap because so many people do just that.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• If you quit, you will not be eligible.

Employers actually prefer to hire people who have jobs.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2011