I'm 38 weeks prego!! :) haven't taken a baby class. . . Any advice?

I am 38 weeks pregnant. I missed sign up for the 6 week lamaze and breathing, birthing and delivery class. So I was goin to register for the one day all day saturday class, but now I don't have the money and there is only one saturday class left and I won't have the money in time to register for it.
Can anyone give me any advice as what to expect, or to do or a website even with info about lamaze stuff I can research on and prepare myself and my boyfriend since we will be unable to take the class? :)
I will be alright if I don't take the class, won't I?

mgurl

Asked by mgurl at 3:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yeah, I think you'll be fine without the class. Just allow nature to take it's course and don't fight it. I don't know of any web sites but I'm sure you'll find some if you google it. GL
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Just remember to breathe in through your nose and exhale out of your mouth and do it slow.
    Anonymous

• You've still got time to read up on natural childbirth techniques. I didn't really get much out of the classes and dropped out anyway. Read up on the Bradley method and hypnobirthing, those both helped me a lot.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I never had birthing classes and I was fine. Just know its gonna hurt. And make sure you know what exactly what will be going on with your body during labor. Its more tolerable when you know why things are happening. Make sure someone you love and trust is in the room. Someone who understands and wont get mad when you tell them to shut the f*** up. lol. I know people who have never said a curse word in their lives, except during labor! Here is a link to a Lamaze class video, too:

http://www.lamazevideo.com/
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 3:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• The best thing you can do is breathe through your pain, relax and don't freak out if it starts to hurt, just breathe through the pain.
    Try some yoga style breathing.
    Your body will tell you what you need to be doing.
    I didn't take any classes as well and my midwife said I had one of the most beautiful and inspiring births she'd witnessed, because I remained calm and didn't let anything rile me up.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 3:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i dind't take them b/c most of the owmen i talked to said that when it got down to it, they didn't remember anything and the nurses are there coaching you at delivery. just remember breathe when they tell you to and push when they tell you to. when contractions hurt take slow deep breaths
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 3:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I never took a class either...I heard they were a waste of time. You will be just fine! The nurses (if they are wonderful like mine were!) will coach you through the whole thing! I agree that nature will take it's course and just remember to BREATHE! Don't try to hold your breath through the contractions.. SMWOODS is so right! Listen to the nurses when they tell you when to breathe and when to push...trust that they know what they are doing! Before you know it that precious bundle of joy is going to be in your arms!
    gracielusmom

Answer by gracielusmom at 3:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I did take the classes, but it really wasn't very useful. When all of it starts happening you tend to forget what they talked about anyways, but like everyone else said, do what feels natural to you and the nurses will help coach you along. Trying to breath threw my contractions actually made them hurt worse. But i had really bad back labor. So when i contraction would come, i would just try to picture anything else, but everyone kept telling me i was holding my breath.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 3:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i didnt take any classes because besides the nurses helping you thru the breathing, i was told my body would know what to do and how to handle it...just be calm and trust your body.....motherly instincts are the best i think
    angel_lips

Answer by angel_lips at 4:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• If you are bfing then talk to the nurse before you deliver and tell them not to give her a bottle or a paci.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2008