Autism - New study released next month - prenatal vitamins

I just read today about a link between Autism rate and prenatal vitamin usage. It was found that women who did not start prenatals before getting pregnant or in the first month of pregnancy were half as likely to have an autistic child than those that did not take prenates. Certain genes alongside the no prenatal gave rise to up to 7 times more likelihood.

Starting prenatals in the second month did not decrease the risk.

There are probably third variables, but if you are TTC, there is more and more reason to take your prenates . . . .talk to your Dr.

ImaginationMama

Asked by ImaginationMama at 8:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I question the study. My oldest has autism, I was taking prenatals before I got pregnant, and was 23. I have 5 kids and with my last I wasn't expecting to get pregnant, so I didn't start prenatals until several months into my pregnancy and I was 37. So it worked the exact opposite in my case. I was young and did everything right with my first - everything and he has autism. I got over that a long time ago. I so wish curing autism was going to be as easy as popping some prenatals!
    But I appreciate you passing on the info - anything that anybody thinks might help is a step in the right direction!

Answer by missanc at 8:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/advice_from_doctors/your_childs_health/the-genetics-of-autism-what-we-know-that-you-should-know

THIS might give you a more reliable and credible report about autism. Duke University is highly respected.

The study seems phony....maybe as banana-bear says,it was done by MeadJohnson...some vitamin manufacturer.

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• But there weren't more people with autism before prenatals existed, were there? If this were true, wouldn't the advent of prenatal vitamins have reduced the number of children who developed autism?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• BULLSHIT! I took my prenatals like clockwork and my son still got autism

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I think prenatals can be helpful in the growth of the baby, but I do not think the link is probable. Who funded the research? Mead Johnson?

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 8:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• There have been links to so many things with autism with no real answer. I really think you should focus on living a happy, healthy and low stress life. Eat healthy foods and take care of youself
    mconnoll

Answer by mconnoll at 8:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Took my prenatals like clockwork too from the time I got a positive result. Three boys with autism. Yeah I know it never said prevent. Tp prevent you would have to know the cause. Still, I'm not so sure the research isn't a little biased. Since we don't really know the cause.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It's a scary puzzle trying to determine what causes Autism. Autism has such a wide spectrum and effects so many children. I hope research comes up with answers soon.
    Ash09855

Answer by Ash09855 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• That is a good point. Prenatals have been around for a very long time. Before they came to become the standard, the maternal age was a lot lower . . . alot. It is possible that as we age, we don't retain the same ability to get the same level of vits from our food due to our aging intestines and less fabulous circulatory system. It could be that our older mamas need vitamin support.
    ImaginationMama

Comment by ImaginationMama (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Interesting idea. I'm not a fan of vitamin supplements, generally, and I firmly believe that a balanced healthy diet is the way to go, but realistically not all mommas are well-nourished, so pre-natal supplements for many women could be a good thing. Very interesting research. Thanks for the news!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2011