Has anyone had a spinal block for surgery?

I'm having a hernia repair next week, and the doctor is trying to talk me into a spinal block over *going to sleep*. I'm terrified of this as my epidural with my DD only lasted 2 hrs, well b4 it was suppose to last.
Any experience? He said this it deeper into the spine.

mrsvixen

Asked by mrsvixen at 8:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Health

• i had one for my c/s and it was fine. i was really nervous because i hate shots but a friend of mine told me she totally over-reacted before the shot cause she was scared and she felt really foolish afterwards because it was no big deal. i kept that in mind and im glad i did because its not much worse than having blood draw... i swear! the IV is 100x worse. It makes you feel totally numb almost immediately. I was in surgery much longer than expected and it didn't wear off at all. Good luck momma!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 9:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Spinal blocks are wonderful. But if you're really freaked out ask them to give you a MAC. Pronounced like it sounds. It knocks you out but not like General Anesthesia. I had one for knee surgery. They did a block and a MAC. I didn't remember a thing.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 11:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I had them for my 2nd and 3rd c-sections. I remember that they did last for a while.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:30 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I had a spinal when I had my apendectomy. I could feel nothing from the waist down. Good luck
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 4:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2011