My son is 4 yrs old and diagnosed with high functioning autism. i am having a hard time getting him to settle down and not hit or push his 3 yr old brother, i know he needs a strict schedule like he has at school where he does very well, does nayone know how to make these schedules or know anything about autism to help me out?

Rebeccaisby

Asked by Rebeccaisby at 8:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Join the autisim support group on here. Also, you should work with your school, and get ideas from the teacher. My 6 year old is in the severe range, non verbal, and has really come a long way since his diagonsis. Good luck, Mama! Talk to experts in your area, his doctor, look for alternative therapies that you think will help him.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 8:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Start by telling him you are doing a schedule just like at school. Set up a daily calendar with pictures of what will be going on at what time.

Example: 7AM breakfast - picture of a plate with eggs, bacon and toast or something like that.

And so on. We found that it helped our son tremendously to have a daily schedule of what to expect on paper.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• do2learn.com was where I got a lot of my stuff from when my oldest was little. His preschool teacher was also a huge help and would print out or laminate anything we needed - can you ask his teacher for some stuff?

Answer by missanc at 9:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2011