He talks the talk, but does he walk the walk? What do you think?

People are saying Christie is a big hypocrite, given his tough talk about runaway spending, its obvious he doesn't include himself in his call for shared sacrifice, by taking the state helicopter to son's ballgame.

Christie has faced criticism over other travel-related expenses.

The Justice Department's inspector general found Christie engaged in a pattern of abuse when he was U.S. attorney by billing taxpayers for stays at luxury hotels. Christie said he stayed in more expensive hotels only when cheaper ones weren't available.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2011/06/01/nj_gov_takes_state_helicopter_to_sons_ball_game/?page=2

Rnurse

Asked by Rnurse at 8:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• imo if the travel was work related i would not expect him to stay in a motel 6 just because it is cheaper and the tax payers are usually responsible for his work costs just as they would be for any other governor. he has made some good decisions for his state even though they are tough ones and his state will be better off because of them. were there cuts made that we all wish there was money to fund? yes absolutely. were they necessary to keep the stat afloat again yes! as far as his son's ball game the same could go the other way if he was doing something work related and skipped the game we would all criticize him for being a bad father. its all what color glasses your looking through.

takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 9:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• He has? Because the media says he has? I would not stay in a motel 6 and wouldn't expect him to either. The man has already done a lot of good in NJ. He will always have liberal detractors.
    As for the ballgame, I do not know the details so I don't care to comment.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Did I miss something? Has he announced that he is going to run for POTUS? I honestly don't know about these things, but it sounds more like an issue with his constituency to take up with him. I don't live in NJ, so I don't know how he represents them. I guess if he announces that he is running for President then, and only then will I start to dig into his 'do as I say, not as I do'.

And seriously?  Motel 6? 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Its just a good thing he is not A Democrat !!!
    I hear he is NOT running for President.
    But why can't he just take his family car to his son's game? A helicopter? WHo does he think he is? The King?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Sounds like an issue for the people of New Jersey... Personally, I am around 4300 miles away from New Jersey and their gov doesn't impact the future of this Nation... But, if you want to nit pick in your petty partisan game about one state... Go right ahead...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Yes, I would say that for a Gov that has made a point of being lauded for his FISCAL conservatism, and as a man whose name has been batted around the possible candidate field because of his fiscal ideas, I believe this is important. Just another "do as I say and not as I do" politician. Further, it also appears that he could use the 100 meter walk, as opposed to riding in a car- which is a reflection on his self control, (or lack there of) IMO-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:06 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• As compared to others, yes, I think he does...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You missed something.....

from Forbes...

On Wednesday, state police Superintendent Rick Fuentes said it costs $2,500 an hour to fly in the helicopter, but that ferrying Christie to the game didn't cost taxpayers anything extra, because pilots need flight time.

"It is important to understand that state police helicopters fly daily homeland security missions and use flight time for training purposes, more so lately as we acclimate our pilots to the new aircraft," Fuentes said.

He added that "any flights transporting the governor would be subordinated" if the aircraft were needed for rescue or time-sensitive police work.

Sounds sort of like those wasteful Air Force flyovers some of you guys complain about....
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It's nice to hear the other side of the story. Yet, I am still not concerned and won't be until he announces he is running (if).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2011