The Hindu gods

Ok so, I have been doing a bit of studying on this but it gets confusing lol. They seem to be sort of like the Egyptians once believed where there was one main god but he could come as many forms and I saw something about a trinity. Does anyone know anything about that who could possibly clear it up?

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hindus have hundreds of gods, but 3 main ones that are the most popular
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• That is what i got too but then it was like the three gods were one or something like that. It was craziness
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Hindus have many gods that are aspects of one god - think of it like the trinity, but with more corners.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• gotcha. That makes it a little easier to understand when looking at it that way. So each of them serves a specific purpose right?
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Right, what NP said (some of my favorite verses from the Gita say things like "I am the one, the many; behind the faces of a million gods they can see my face") - that and there are three gods, or "aspects of the one god", who make up a sort of "trinity" or triad - Brahma the creator, Vishnu the preserver, and Shiva the "god of destruction".
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Thanks ladies :) I am deeply interested all the sudden in learning about it
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• There are many gods in Hinduism, but for many the three main ones are often Brahma, Vishnu and Siva. They are all different aspects of the impersonal Absolute called Brahman. Everything that exists--living or not living comes from Brahman, so it's more than the idea of God if I understand it correctly. I believe Brahma is typically associated with creation, Vishnu with sustaining or preservation, and Siva with dissolving, transformation, or destruction. Brahman can manifest in many forms in their view. Plus, even these main gods can manifest in many forms. I actually just saw a really cool art exhibit on Vishnu recently showing all his many forms. So, though there are thousands of gods and goddesses, they are all aspects of Brahmam or the source of all things.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Every time I think of Shiva it reminds me of a Final Fantasy game my husband used to play lol
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 7:31 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I'll do my best.. lol

The base of all Hindu "Gods/Goddesses" is the trinity of Brahma (the Creator), Vishnu (the protector/preserver) and Shiva (the Destoyer).. Each member of the trinity has a "wife" or "Consort" (for lack of better terms that would be easily understandable). They are: Saraswati (consort to Brahma Goddess of Knowledge), Laxmi (consort of Vishnu. Goddess of "wealth") and Parvati (Consort of Shiva goddess of power).. From those base deities, there are thousands upon thousands of Gods/Goddesses in the Hindu pantheon. Each and everyone of those is not an individual God/Goddess. Their are entities that represent/are aspects of the base 6. Each of the other Gods/Goddesses of the pantheon represent an aspect(s) of one of the base 6. For example: Kali is an aspect of Parvati.. Krisna is an aspect of Vishnu.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Continued.

Which when you break down the 6, all lead back to Brahma.Brahma is the base if you will, the source of all creation. Brahma is the head of the trinity and is the beginning and end of all in creation including all the aspects of the Gods/Goddesses, and even the universe itself. Brahma is the very universe itself. Some text describe the universe as a being a pore of Brahma,this is of course using the imagry of Brahma as a being with a physical body, and equating a pore of the skin as to show the size of the universe compared to the vastness off Bhrama.

So in essence. Brahma is the source of all, the One Universal Creator.. Vishnu and Shiva are the aspects of  Brahma that make up the trinity. All the other Gods/Goddesses of the pantheon are aspects of the Trinity and their consorts.

Cont. Below

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2011