Question for Atheist.

Say your child decided to follow a religion anyone it doesn't matter. What would you think? Many of you post how you want them to find their truth but if their truth is something you see as fake how does that work out in the end?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 9:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• They are free to choose whatever path they wish, but they should also be prepared to engage in some good, healthy debates around the family dinner table.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 10:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You respect them and they respect you. People can coexist.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

•  I gave my children life and it is theirs to live as they see fit.
    >>>>
    Really? No guidance, no discipline? No talks over the years about grades?   Are you deliberately trying to be obtuse or are you just stupid?  It is quite obvious to those of us with comprehension skills that we are talking about life choices.  To make it simple for you, I let my daughter choose the university she wanted instead of pushing her to go where I wanted.  I let her choose the man she wanted to date instead of choosing for her.  I let choose her own spiritual path instead of enforcing my own beliefs.  When she voted in her first election last month, we let her decide who to vote for.  In other words, I let my children live their own lives instead of living it for them. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Andilm I think we all know she did not mean she gave birth and left them in a basket in the woods to fend for them selves.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:51 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Their choice. Unless they become involved in some extremist group like the WBC I really couldn't care what path their truth takes them on. If it is an extremist groups, well I'd have a few harsh words for that scenario.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I gave my children life and it is theirs to live as they see fit.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I will be asking alot of tough questions, just like any normal debate where I am trying to understand the opposing viewpoints. If they can respond with logic, thoroughly thought-through answers, and clear/convincing evidence, I will respect their choice.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I don't hold firm the belief that there are no gods. There could be one or thousands. I personally don't hold faith in any of them, but if my daughter chooses to eventually follow a religion, that's her decision to make. All I will do is ask that she respect my beliefs and those of others.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It's completely up to him. We'll probably talk about things from a pantheistic perspective for the most part, and teach him about Taoism and Buddhism--mostly by leading by example and then discussions when he's older...if he's interested. We have family members who are various denominations of Christians (particularly Presbyterian, Baptist, and some Catholics), as well as atheists, agnostics, other Buddhists, etc. Ideally I'd like to make sure he's informed about different religions and philosophies, and is hopefully respectful of differences. We'll share our own views of course, but ultimately--whether we like to admit it or not, they are their own people and will make their own decisions. I just hope that I can help guide him to be tolerant and respectful of others, show him tools for dealing with life, and generally help him to become a free-thinker so he feels that he can question things in order to FIND his own path.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Oh goody!  I've got a stalker!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2011