Would you do it?

Would you sign a one year lease on a house you never got to see personally?
(not talking about Mediterranean Mansions LOL just a regular house)

If you never got to see it and all the information you had was what's in the real estate listing, would you rent a house sight-unseen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Just for Fun

• No
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• no. But I have rented a house to couples that have not seen them. Two times to Spainish NATO families and once to a navy family moving from across country. They all worked out fine. But I could not do it for me.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• NO. There could be a lot of risks ....mold that you wouldn't see unless you inspected it, broken appliances,etc.
    And I wouldn't rent. I would buy. Renting is too impermanent and your money goes into the landlord's pocket. WHen you BUY, the mortgage money is invested in your home as Equity.You don't give it to someone else.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Some people cannot buy for various reasons. We bought a house and owned it for 13 years before selling it and we had 0 equity. We were lucky to sell it at all. Lost value due to bad economy and local school district very unstable. We are now renting...hopefully for one more year. Any equity we gained went to repairs on the house. We want to own again but want to find the right house. Plus like the navy family mentioned above who are likely to have to relocate at any time...renting would make more sense. Some people are not equipped or don't want to deal with the hassle of home repair and maintenance...when you rent you can just call the landlord and they have to deal with it. I might rent without actually seeing the home if I had extensive pictures and references from past tenants.
    Mim4

Answer by Mim4 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• If you're the person who asked earlier about what to do (DH moved for job, you're waiting, he's not doing his part with house apps, etc) then yes, I would do it. If you're not the same person...it would depend on the circumstances.
    Anonymous

• I have rented houses with only seeing the outside, but those houses were on military bases and we didn't have much choice. Would I rent a house out in town sight unseen for that long...absolutely not.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• nope
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• nope. learned that lesson the hard way. when DH & i first got married we saw a model apartment & rented a similar one, but never saw it. it was AWFUL! we couldnt wait for our less to be up...mold in the shower, roaches that we'd fight off just to have come back cause of close proximity to a restaurant, & to cap it off a mushroom grew in our hallway!! we'd call & call & no body ever came out...bad bad experience but we learned our lesson!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• No way!
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:23 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• No
    Jaxs23

Answer by Jaxs23 at 8:39 AM on Jun. 2, 2011