Did you keep the sex a delivery surprise?

was it worth it? would you do it again?

ive debated doing that with child number 2...but i felt like knowing my son was well, my son, gave us some in utero bonding.

what are the perks of a delivery surprise from those who have done it?

babymaycker

Asked by babymaycker at 9:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have done this.. the problem I encountered.. everyone finds out soooo the docs didn't tell me at all and I had to ask.. they were surprised and kinda anticlimatic.. oh.. she's a girl... okay. Then, I was thinking it was going to be a boy so I was slightly let down for a minute or so until I regained my composure. I have had other children now and I have found out... the build up is better AND most things are pink or blue, so neutrals are difficult to find.

However, do what you feel is good for you!
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I kept my daughter's sex a surprise, she was my first, and it was SO WORTH IT, SO MUCH FUN, LOVED IT!!! Everyone was just so excited... my 2nd I did not keep a surprise and the 2nd I found out I was disappointed that the fun was over. Pregnancy, while it seems so long while going through it, is a very short and special time. And the argument that you need to plan, buy clothes, etc. is such BS because a) the baby doesn't even sleep in his/her room for at least 2-3 months, so plenty of time to ready it, b) the second the child is born you are FLOODED with pink or blue baby gifts/clothes, and c) doesn't matter anyway because for the first few weeks the baby basically lives in a onesie, PLENTY of time to get gender colored clothing. And as for bonding, doesn't matter if its a she or he in there, you're bonded no matter what. I WISH I kept my 2nd a surprise. One of my regrets in life. Do it!!! So much fun.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I didn't want to know. I read somewhere that not knowing gives you that extra little push to get the delivery over with! Anyway, I knew that if I said boy or girl it would be all blue or pink & I didn't want that. If I were to have another baby, I wouldn't find out early either.
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 9:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Pros to the surprise:

Dubunking materialsm
    Avoiding unnecessary risks with ultrasound
    Bonding with a baby, whoever-whatever he/she might be

lol

doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• oh, yah--
    My babies were surprises, yes. And I would always do it again (ultrasound-free womb here).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• With our first, we did not find out. We have with our second and third because I thought it would be easier to get the other kids used to the idea of a new sibling if we could give the baby a name and title of "brother" or "sister".
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Oh, but either way you go, I would still recommend doing neutral "big" stuff like swings, high chairs, play yards, etc in case you have more kids.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• i want to know :) but i am just a very curious person by nature!!
    tasha94952

Answer by tasha94952 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• With our 3rd & final child, I want it to be a surprise. We'll see what the husband says but we've already got two children. Boy & Girl so either way we're set to go with everything we need.
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• We chose not to know until birth. Even though the OB insisted on ultrasounds prior to the delivery, we told everyone that we didn't want to know, and they kept it silent.

It was a wonderful surprise 9 months in the making!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2011