Can this get any better?

My kids, I love them. But my 8 year old son rather play On his DS then do his homework, I confront him we fight daddy ends up telling him he can do them later. But that later never comes, I get notes in his agenda because he hasn't done any homework his teacher asked him to do, I'M the one getting slapped on the fingers for not making him do his homework at the Parent teacher interviews. When I'm completely innocent I tell him to do them but DH always comes behind me saying the opposite, it's frustrating. I know school years almost done. But the teacher called a meeting with my DH, DS and me. Saying he might skip back a year because his grades aren't good... And to go see an expert because they think he has learning disabilities... Oh lord what am I going to do...

proudmom717

Asked by proudmom717 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't let him have his DS until he has finished his homework.
    When DH tries to undermine you again stand firm and say, no, he never does it when we do it your way. Now we are doing it mine. Kiddo, get your lessons done, now.

We always have a snack and then homework. No playing until the work is done.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• you need to have a talk with your DH about going behind ur back after u told ur son to do homework and letting him play a game instead. i would tell him if he didn't do his homework u will take his ds. you both need to parent together not against each other.
    wildcatsgurl06

Answer by wildcatsgurl06 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I think you and your husband need to sit down and have a long talk about this.. I really think you need to put your foot down with both your husband and son.. Good luck
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Your son has learned that he can get away with doing or not doing what he wants. Does his father want an 8 year old running things? Now, your son may be avoiding schoolwork because it is hard for him. It is a good idea to get him evaluated over the summer for LD. If the teacher suggests holding him back, then do so now, instead of letting it build more & having him be further behind this time next year. What does he think about school?
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 10:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• he hates school.. Some older kids have been pushing him around....
    proudmom717

Comment by proudmom717 (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Take the DS away, kick your DH in the rear, tell the kid it's homework time, and DH to stuff it and help the kid with his homework. DH needs to learn priorities, DS needs to learn priorities.
    Anonymous

• Is DH home when DS gets home? If not, make him do his homework then. If DH is home, then look at DS and say "I told you to do your homework. Do it.". If he tries the "Well, Dad said I could do it later!" Say "Well, I know I told you to do it. Don't go running to your dad when I tell you no."...If he argues, tell him that you will SELL the game if he doesn't get in line with school.
    Anonymous

• The DS would come up missing. Tell your DH that he needs to respect your decision and if your child falls back a year its his fault. Tell your DS to either do his homework or lose the game completely.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:22 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• you and hubby need to be on the same page. set a time for homework, and help him if he needs it
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 2:12 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Hide that DS until the grades come up and slap that DH for being completely unhelpful.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:35 AM on Jun. 2, 2011