How to "break up" with my "boss" without her hating me ...

for the last year I have been babysitting a family friends son... I really like her, she is fun to talk to and I think she is a good friend ( we are not like really close or like that, but I still like talking to here and there, and of course since she is a family friend I will always have times where i will have to see her) .....

I only have to watch him about an hour a day ( after school), and then if he doesnt have school or during the summer or long holidays I watch him all day... But even when i have to watch him for that little hour... it is still hard to have a day around it...

Right now I am a stay at home mom and will be for 2 more years - until my youngest goes to school... we decided that I would stay home so I could take care of my kids and honestly , just so I can enjoy them , before they bigger and before I will have to go back to work everyday.....

i started watching him because money was tight, and now my husband got a promotion and is making better money ( which means I dont "have" to make the extra money) ...

I love kids, and I really hate to say it but he is just so bad behaving that it makes it so hard to watch him ( his mom is the type who thinks he can do no wrong) ....

if I stopped watching him it would literally feel like a breath of fresh air.....

The problem is I do not know how to tell his mom .... I mean of course i would watch him until she finds someone else ( I dont know who she would get to watch him though because the woman that watched him last time wont talk to her now) ....

what could I say that isnt offensive and would just be the best way to tell her ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Ugh, I can understand your predicament. It's tough to just say I'm done. She'll expect a reason and you'll feel compelled to give one so let's think....
    I agree about keeping it simple for starters like LeJane said. Tell her you're unable to babysit and give her an end date (like three weeks). If she does ask you why, perhaps tell her you either want to spend one on one time w/ your child before preschool OR you're planning on working from home doing I don't know what....or....although he's a sweet kid you aren't used to having two kids and you just need a break OR you're simply finding it stressful juggling two kids and need a break and then say you hope she can understand. From that point, breathe NO MORE life into the conversation. If she pushes again, just say you've made a decision that's best for your family.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• try getting an activity or a class around that time for you and your little one(s), you need this (irreplaceable) time with them, and hopefully she will understand
    brookemhowell

Answer by brookemhowell at 9:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• well I thought of telling her that since my oldest will start preschool and I will have to take her and drop her off and since I cant take him with me... it just wouldnt work out...but it is only 3 days a week and she knows that..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• OK, QUIT worrying about other people. If she doesn't understand then she is not worth your time, if she does you are not out anything. You don't have to explain anything to her, just state the facts. " I hate to have to tell you this but I am giving you notice that you need to find another provider for your son. " If she asks tell her the truth, that you no longer need the income and your life is changing. She won't understand what it is like to continually watch someone elses' child even once in awhile unless she has been there. You will feel so much better once you say something. Good for you to be getting your life and schedule back... Good Luck Have fun....
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• why dont you tell her its just too much and have her check in to ycare or an afterschool program that does summer care...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 11:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Just tell her that the children are passing poor behaviors between one another, and you'd rather not have them have daily interaction where they can continue to do so.. No need to tell her that it's HER child doing it. lol.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• "break up" with your boss??? Are you dating, going steady?
    I have no idea.
    Breaking up???
    Just explain how it would mess up your schedule,I guess.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2011