What dog food to feed?

I want to feed my dogs-2 yro Fila Brasileiro, 107lbs and still filling out and 7 mo boston terrier/mini schnauzer mix puppy, 14lbs and probably done growing just plenty of energy. I want a good quality food with little poop! Thank you in advance!

pitbull4me

Asked by pitbull4me at 10:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Pets

• Probably your best bet for nutrition and pet health is make your own dog food. If you need to buy a dog food look for one with meat listed as the first ingredient not corn.
    Mim4

Answer by Mim4 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Iams or Eukanuba are the only dog and cat foods i trust
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• don't have time to make own food, but thank you.

personally I despise Iams and Eukanuba-my vet told me they are bad foods he does not recommend.
    pitbull4me

Comment by pitbull4me (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Check the ingredients and make sure that there is real meat, not by-products and fillers. When we feed this to our pets, they aren't getting the nutrition they need and will eat more, thus making more poop. And trust me, as an owner of a Great Dane, less poop is much better!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• and I meant to say feed them the same food.....
    pitbull4me

Comment by pitbull4me (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Blue Buffalo and Natural Balance are both good food with little to no fillers. They are pricey though. Especially for a large dog. If you are looking for less out put then the majority of the food needs to be 'useable' no beet pulp, corn in any form, Brewers rice, artificial anything or by-product. The first ingredient should be a protein.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• This website deemed these foods the *best*

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My cousin is a vet tech and told me that Kibbles and Bits is like a human eating doritos at every meal, my dogs are very picky, and the one lab pit is about 30lbs over weight, so its hard to find something she will eat. Good Luck!
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 11:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Go grain free. Dogs were not meant to eat corn, wheat, soy, meat by-products, & all the otehr junk fillers used in gorcery store cat & dog food. Iams & Eukanuba are junk food; sorry, but that's the way it is. Any dog/cat food with the fillers mentioned above, is NOT quality pet food. Yes they'll survive on those foods, but they wont thrive on them. There is a BIG difference in "surviving" & "thriving", when it comes to how junk pet food affects our pets. We fed our late lab Natural Balance, & our cats eat Wellness, & Chicken Soup For The Cat Lovers Soul. Both of these are excellent grain free foods & they have a dog food selection as well. Do some research on grain free pet foods & you'll see what other brands are available. I recommend a diet of wet (canned) & dry both. An all dry diet isnt a healthy diet for dogs, & especially cats.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 11:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Innova, California Natural (good for dogs with allergies or sensitive tummies), Flint River Ranch, Canadae, Taste of the wild. Blue Buffalo are good foods

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2011