When is a good age to remove baby bumpers?

my son is 8 almost 9 months old and he pulls his bumpers down and uses it as a pillow, lol! He also pulls it down to look if I'm still in the room, does this mean it's time to remove the bumpers? I'm worried though because he flips around like a fish out of water to get comfy, also I worry he's gonna chew on the crib bars? What should I do?!

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 10:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I never used one. It is not something that is a necessity so I dont think it would matter when you stopped using it, if he is using it as a toy now, it probably wouldnt matter if you took it out or not.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• They are a suffocation hazard- you can remove them ASAP.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• my daughter is 15 months and i just took it off and once they r asleep it shouldnt matter about having 1
    emma133

Answer by emma133 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• your really not ever suppose to use them... I don't understand why they sell them for decoration I guess they are dangerous.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• and she still moves around alot they can only suffocate if they aint tied properly
    emma133

Answer by emma133 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Were leaving ours on until she decides to start taking them down or until she is ready for a toddler bed
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• as the baby gets older they will start to try to use the bumpers to climb out of the crib. they will also start to pull at them and loosen the tie straps on the backs of them. They will not remain tied properly if the baby continues to tug on them day after day. They are pointless to have for any reason other than decoration.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I never used one...
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 10:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I use the breathable bumper and leave it up the whole time they sleep in the crib. If they try to stand on it, it collapses so they can't use it to climb out and it keeps their arms and legs in the crib.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Babies CAN AND DO suffocate on these even when "properly" tied. If they get their face smooched up against one and can't roll over they can suffocate. My boys were really good at scooting up from wherever they started out at and getting up in the corner of the crib, pack n play or wherever they were sleeping. It is recommended now to not have them at all. I would remove them immediately and throw them away. I do not understand why they are even allowed to sell them now. You are not supposed to have stuffed animals or blankets either. I did not let my daughter have a blanket until she was 3 years old! She is hot all the time so we put her in lightweight sleepers most of the time...only when it was down below 0 did we use a blanket sleeper. She had lots of sack sleepers when she was little. They make them to size 9 months but they can wear them awhile longer 'cause they are long...lots of kick room!
    Mim4

Answer by Mim4 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2011