What do you do with your toddler during the day? What do you teach/play?

I have an 18 month old boy and I'm not sure if I am "teaching" him enough during the day and am going to miss this critical developmental stage. What do you think I should be doing with him during the day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd is here everyday with her 2 yr old son. My youngest is 3.5. They play together, we watch movies with them, do arts and crafts and things like that. You can use flash cards as early as 2 and start teaching site words and some math. We sing songs too that have educational value to them, do counting, reading etc. My 3.5 yr old can read already :-)
    Anonymous

• I like to teach my DD about the different seasons and when we are outside I teach her the names of different flowers and trees. When we go for a walk we count things and we talk about which foot is her left or right and I'm goofy about it so she has fun and it really sinks in.
    Anonymous

• my daughter is 17mo and we read - look at books, she can point out just about anything I ask her to. we do flash cards with ABC's and 123's. we write. I sit with her with a pen a notepad and I will write her ABC's or her name and then she will try to write them too, it's funny. She has written a good A, B, and L. The only tv we watch is Sesame Street, the only part she loves to watch is Elmo's World. I do a workout video and she tries to do it along with me, funny stuff. We try to go outside for a little while, it's getting pretty cold so we don't stay out long right now. We try to have pletny of learning and play time. but books are our best friend b/c she loves to look at different ones and she pretends to read. it's never too early to start. my daughter knew her animal sounds at 12mo and all her body parts. we are working on ABC';s right now. My nephews could sing theirs by 2. my daughter tries. so anything fun and learning
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 3:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Thanks for the suggestions, I hadn't thought of flashcards. What kind of arts and crafts do you do? my son can scribble a little with a crayon or sidewalk chalk, but he hates play doh or anything like it and he doesnt like to dip his fingers in paint. any other ideas?
    Aimee139

Answer by Aimee139 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Well we mess around on the carpet, play outside with toys, watch tv, play in his room on the carpet, I let him help me do the laundry, or I give him like a wet rag to 'clean' with when I'm trying to do chores. I don't really force him to learn anything though, he has an alphabet toy that teaches letter, but he's only 2 and I don't want to push him. He'll learn more when he goes to preschool. Right now I want to enjoy him since he's my last baby :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I feel like I'm not doing enough, too sometimes. We get up, have breakfast, get dressed, we'll watch some tv, then go outside and play and talk about what we see outside. I just talk A LOT with her, and hope something sinks in. After all, they do learn by observing and playing, so it isn't like you have to make lesson plans for the day.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 7:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2008