Options for teething.

My little boy is only 4 months old and is teething. I was just wondering if it was better to use the orajel or tablets? I didn't have this problem with my oldest since she started getting her teeth after 1 yr.

charmd18

Asked by charmd18 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i use an amber teething necklace! my dd just wears it and the heat from her body warms up the amber and it releases a natural oil that helps prevent pain! she has worn it since she was 4 months old and got all her teeth without a fuss! love it! www.amberpumpkin.com is where i bought mine!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• No orajel - there was an article in The Stir a while back (sorry, I don't have a link) about something in it that could be deadly to even an adult. And the teething tablets were recalled...last fall I think, because the amount of something wasn't evenly distributed, so kids were either getting nothing or "od-ing". Minimal amounts of Tylenol, and things to chew on are best.
    Anonymous

• orajel toughens the gums and makes it harder for the teeth to get through. i used teething drops...worked great. i also recommended it to a couple of my infants' parents (i work with infants at a daycare) who used it and swear by it. you can find it at rite aid, walgreens, sometimes walmart (although when i looked for them at my walmart they were sold out)

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I gave them tylenol or ibuprofen in small doses. Also frozen waffles...they sell the small ones or even the regular size cut in half. frozen washclothes and frozen bagels. These are amazing!!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• oh yeah that's right there was an article about the orajel...i've completely forgotten about that.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• here's the link

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• OMG- didn't know that, been giving my son orajel since noon this morning that has benxocaine in it! ty you ladies for telling me.
    charmd18

Comment by charmd18 (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Baby Anbesol┬« is another like orajel to stay away from.. and Little Teethers, etc.

a little tylenol when it gets BAD, but try a froozen pacifier (the soothies are great, just dip in water, pop in freezer and pulllout when needed) or other teething rings or even a wet washcloth. I HATE teething biscuits, they are HUGE choking hazard and I don't recommend them to anyone (besides 4 months is too young for those anyways).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2011