Iuds and abortions....

So I was doing some research on iuds, both copper and hormone... If, the slight chance, that the egg does get fertilized, the iuds make it so the fertilized egg can not connect to the uterus.... Isnt this bordering on abortion? No bashing, I am honestly a little confused by it.

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 10:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Health

• ok here's my answer. No. iud preventage measure
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 10:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• but then the person would never know though. . just like any other kind of birth control just in a different way. any form of preventing pregnancy to continue is a sign of terminating a pregnancy. its a good question. makes you think about any birth control.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• If you truly believe life begins at conception rather than at some point after implantation, then yes. Many women won't use the pill for the similar reason.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• when i got one they said if i got pregnant it would cause ectopic pregnancies but after a few weeks i had massive pain and bleeding so they took it out
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 10:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• That's how we learned it in high school, why some churches won't allow IUDs, because it essentially allows a "monthly abortion", provided an egg is fertilized every month. Either way, I think it's one of the most awful sounding forms of bc.
    Anonymous

• Oh wow....never knew that. :( Yes I would have to say yes.....because it kills it.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Thats what I thought too, really on any birth control a fertile or non fertile can't stick. To me thats like monthly abortions. I'd rather take my chances and so far only when I haven't tried not to get pregnant I've gotten pregnant. For me it works but others it may not.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It depends on when you believe life begins (like anng.atlanta said). We just had a discussion about when life begins over in the religion section. You should check it out. http://www.cafemom.com/answers/857951/When_does_life_begin

There are lots of reliable methods of family planning that don't involve hormones.

tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It doesn't "Kill",.Momforhealth. It prevents the egg from attaching to the uterine wall.
    But if you have to get that precise, then condoms and diaphragms work quite well.
    Personally, I think preventing unwanted pregnancies before they even become attached to the uterine lining is more important than quibbling about whether or not it "kills" an ovum.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:06 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• that is exactly how IUDs work-- they prevent a fertilized egg from implantation and they do not prevent ovulation at all in any research currently available-- when the egg does not implant the zygote falls out
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2011