Has any parent a toddler or child been on Clonidine for ADHD?

My 3 year old son went to a behavioral center. She was listenin to the family history and stuff. She said he appears well developed and well nourished. he is active. he is extremely busy. his attention span is very poor. At his age he should be sayin more words and put words together to make a sentence. He was diagonosis with ADHD. so she put him on this meds called clonidine. I was just wondering if any parent kids was on it so i could ask how its doin for their child.

Kandice2010

Asked by Kandice2010 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Head over to the group ADHD AND US. They are always very helpful!
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Okay thanks
    Kandice2010

Comment by Kandice2010 (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• IMPO: They would have to have a seriously GOOD reason for medicating my 3 year old vs. traditional therapy or counseling. IMO: to diagnose ADHD at 3 is nuts. IMO: I would get a second opinion before giving mind altering drugs to a toddler.

vote down if you must but I don't know how to make it much clearer that this is my opinion.
    Anonymous

• Yeah i know what ur sayin. He is too active to sit in front of someone to talk. I didnt want him on meds at all but since he been this meds i have notice a change him in. I want him to be able to learn and be around other kids. I have try other ways to help him but u cant get him to be calm to help him learn. He can go frm 9 in the morning to 9 at night non stop doin activites. Parents have there own opinions so im just lookin to hear about other parents kids to see what has happen. Thanks for ur opinion.
    Kandice2010

Comment by Kandice2010 (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• my oldest has been on it about 7 months now (she is 7yrs), she has anxiety disorder and cant sleep, she is also very hyper, the only reason she isnt adhd is because she can control herself in school (even the doctor had to tell her to calm down just to examine her). she takes it at night and it has worked awesome on her. it helps her to fall asleep at a decent hour and she gets enough sleep. it doesnt give her that groggy feeling in the morning either.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My son takes it at night to sleep. It is the only way he will go to sleep. You should have your child tested for food sensitivities. Ask for a RAST test for IgG antibodies. It saved my son. Once we removed all the identified foods, he did a complete turnaround. It was like flipping on a light switch.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• my child was only given clonidine to take at night to help him sleep because his adhd meds kept him awake. it worked fine but i didn't like having to medicate him to bring him up in the morning and then again to put him down at night so we tried different adhd meds. I've never heard of it being used as a daytime drug because of the sleepiness factor but I read on the internet that they do. use whatever works to make life happier for your child. thats whats important
    keykeyb

Answer by keykeyb at 5:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2011