My daughters baby was born 1 month early due to her having toxemia. He is breatfed and seems to be gaining weight well. But everytime he has a bowel movement he strains and cries like he is in pain. His tummy is rock hard when this occurs and sometimes spits up. Has anyone else had this problem?

pam12958

Asked by pam12958 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Since she is breastfeeding, I wouldn't be too concerned, as long as that's the only symptoms. If he is happy when he's not straining to pass a stool, and not hungry or tired, I'd say it's fine. I had two premmies (32 weeks) as well as 4 other babies, and straining for a bowel movement when they are newborn is pretty normal and that often means the tummy gets hard and he may spit up too. I'd say it's normal. Baby is just getting used to having to digest food and pass waste products. It should get easier for him as he matures. Encorage her to continue breastfeeeding for as long as possible. A premmie particularly really needs the extra benefits of Mommy milk!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• yes my son did the same thing i breast feed still he 7 mounth now but when he was born he use to cry cry cry every time poopy time an sometimes he dinit poop for 3 days and his stomach would be hard also he just geting use to life that is normal ok dont be worried he just needs to learn to poop i think all breast fed babys go through that its normal for breast fed babys they dnt poop every day and that explains the hard stomach ok
    jack90

Answer by jack90 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2011