Homemade Gifts: Awesome or Trashy?

Just wanted some feedback on this.....

How would you feel if someone came to your kid's birthday party with a homemade gift? I mean, does it matter more to you if it comes in a packaged box with a bar code on it? Or would you prefer something not made in China? Or do you not care either way?

banana-bear

Asked by banana-bear at 11:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• id prefer something home made :) it means more care was put into it and that they actually cared to take time to make something instead of just walking into a store
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 11:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I think it's an awsome idea and so much more meaningful than something store-bought. But if it was my kid giving the gift, I'd have to consider who it's for, before deciding if it would be appreciated.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I think Homemade gifts are the most thoughtful! My husband's grandma always makes us jelly and homemade noodles for christmas and it's better than any storebought gift. Plus, in this economy, some people just don't have the money to spend.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 11:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• love homemade gifts i think they have more meaning
    tjmommy2010

Answer by tjmommy2010 at 11:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I think homemade gifts are just fine! They have more meaning than something storebought!
    KynTuffsMom

Answer by KynTuffsMom at 11:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My son is in the process of making his first cross stitch project (a 2-inch tree ornament) for his 1st grade teacher.

I'm all for homemade stuff, I'm just not inspired very often, or with enough time to really make anything.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• The old saying "It's the thought that counts" holds true. It depends on how much energy and care went into it. If it's a very nice gift like something that's crocheted (stuffed animal, outfit, blanket, etc.) or something it took them time and love to make then that's wonderful and I would love it. If it's something you threw together at the last minute because you forgot or you just didn't care what it looked like, then that's trashy. However you can also have trashy store bought gifts like if you stop at the drug store on the way and grab whatever's in the checkout counter and a gift bag because you forgot/don't care. It also depends on the financial situation of the person. If they can't afford a nice store bought gift, the fact they took the time to make something instead would mean a lot to me. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I think it is a wonderful idea. I would take a homemade, for any occasion. I always think about the love and time they spent making it.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I love homemade gifts! It means the giver was thinking of me and what I would like during the process of making the gift. Not trashy at all :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I think it depends on who the gift is for but homeade gifts are still awesome
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 11:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2011