Pediatric Plastic Surgery (Scar Revision) Yes or No?

KynTuffsMom

Asked by KynTuffsMom at 11:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• No. Unless scar was a cancerous scar. Anything cosmetic is not necessary in pediatric stage IMO.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I would say no. I'm always against Pediatric Plastic Surgery unless it's to correct something that is affecting their quality of life. The fact is, you don't know what they're gonna look like in the long run or if the scar will fade. Is it somewhere obvious like on the face?
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Depends on the circumstance. A positive self image is very important to overall self esteem. If it were something that my child felt very bad about, and I wasn't able to talk her into embracing it, I would consider it. There are positive female role models with facial scars that I would point out, I.e. Tina Fey. However, if there was no changing her mind about her appearance, I would consult a doctor.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• If the scar is disfiguring and the child is being teased/harassed by other children about it, by all means you should get it corrected if possible.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 4:55 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My son is 7 months old and when he was 2 days old he coded at home. While in route to the ER the EMS team had to do what is called intraosseous infusion in both legs. The 4 attempts resulted in infiltration of the tissue, burns to his calf on one leg and a burn to the knee on the other. The Plastic Surgeon wants to revise the scar on his knee to prevent any potential problems. If we wait, he could need tissue expanders in the future as well as the surgery after the tissue expanders. Would it be easier to do it now while he is young or wait until he is older? My dh and I are torn on this issue.
    KynTuffsMom

Comment by KynTuffsMom (original poster) at 8:24 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Before your explanation I would have said no, after reading it my answer is yes. If it something that is going to be needed in the future anyways and doing it know will take away some of the later complications then I would do it. In most cases the littlier they are the easier they bounce back. Nature was pretty awesome that way when we were designed.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:34 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It sounds like the scar could affect hid mobility and I would definitely do it.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Like I said before. Unless it affects their quality of life. This will affect his quality of life. In these circumstances, I would get the procedure while he's young. He won't remember it and he won't remember the pain. It'll be harder on him if you wait.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Thanks everyone! I think the unspoken agreement between Dh and I are that we are going to go ahead and get this done now. The surgeon can do it in one stage instead of 2 stages later on. We are already talking about everything we need to do ahead of time. Thanks so much for everyones replies. I was pretty dumbfounded this week, the surgeon took me by suprise. Since I couldnt wrap my head around it, I figured I would ask around!
    KynTuffsMom

Comment by KynTuffsMom (original poster) at 6:56 AM on Jun. 5, 2011