If Hell is simply "separation from 'God'", rather than a physical place of fire and brimstone...

...do you think that atheists are already in Hell?

I'm happy to say that I live my life as separated from "God" as I possibly can, and if this is Hell - it's fine with me! I'm even okay with the idea of eternal "nothingness" after death, since it is all simply part of the natural cycle of life. You live, you die, that's it. No big deal.

So, if the worst that's going to happen is that I'll continue to live my life freely and happily without "God", and then just die with nothing beyond that as I expect... then why on earth would I ever want to be "saved"?

Oh, and if you try to tell me that I can't possibly understand until I experience "God's" love... well, I was a Christian for the first half of my life, and once believed as strongly as anyone you'll ever meet, so that argument just isn't going to work.

Eek_a_Geek

Asked by Eek_a_Geek at 11:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Well that would follow wouldn't it? In which case, I have to say it's not as bad as some would like you to believe, I rather enjoy it. I certainly am not missing out on anything, and if I am it certainly isn't anything important enough to make me change my already wonderful life.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• If this is hell then it can't get much worse. Bring it. And if I'm in a "nothingness" after I die, maybe I'll finally get some sleep.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 11:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• this whole heaven hell thing is a fairy tale. i think walt disney was more creative though....
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• ^ Haha! Nice.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 12:03 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Hell to the yesss on the fucking sleep!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:11 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• (quote: qwen20) "this whole heaven hell thing is a fairy tale. i think walt disney was more creative though...."
    ======
    They just hire better writers.
    Eek_a_Geek

Comment by Eek_a_Geek (original poster) at 12:12 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• They just hire better writers.

Proof my kid watches too much iCarly...I'm imagining the writers spying on God, Inc

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:22 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• If Hell is simply "separation from 'God'", rather than a physical place of fire and brimstone...

That was from my answer- and I am pretty sure I explained it before but here it is again- to be with God is a reward-if you do not believe in God than it would not be a reward for you so to me that is not your definition of Heaven-yours may be a hole in the ground-who knows-doesn't matter to me- hell is the opposite- for people that believe it would be a separation from God- again-if you do not believe that would not be a punishment for you so your Hell would be different- Heaven and Hell are dependent on what you find value in- its pretty simple and straight forward to me-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:22 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• well...if you enjoy being separated from God then hell for you would be having to be with God. so maybe God will send you to heaven just to put you thru hell! (j/k)

but in seriousness, ive never really thought about it. i dont think you need to be saved to get to paradise, so im not sure what (if anything) will happen to those who are happy without God.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:24 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• (quote: soyousay) "That was from my answer..."
    =====
    Sorry soyousay, I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm not stalking your answers and I have no idea which one you're talking about.  My question is actually is a bit of a spin-off from this question, where a couple different people expressed the idea:   http://www.cafemom.com/answers/793287/What_is_hell_Where_is_it_s_o_of_another_question

Eek_a_Geek

Comment by Eek_a_Geek (original poster) at 12:48 AM on Jun. 2, 2011