OVERWEIGHT CHILDREN

What do you do when your child has the propensity to gain weight. She enjoys food. She's only slightly overweight now, but I'm worried that she'll have a battle with weight her entire life. My husband is overweight and I have to work out regularly to stay fit. I don't want to make eating an issue for her and of course I want her to love herself exactly the way she is. I've tried to instill healthy eating habits, etc. and a healthy lifestyle. She enjoys ice skating and skiing but doesn't really participate in any sports anymore. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• Encourage her to participate in sports.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 3:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I'd say just keep healthy foods in the house, keep making healthy eating habits a priority, find ways to work out as a family that don't seem like working out. Also, I don't know how old she is, but in my family, my father's side is very inclined to be overweight. My mother just sat me down when I was around...I think 9 or 10 and told me that thanks to the genes on my dad's side of the family, I might need to work a little harder than others to keep a healthy weight. She never made it a big deal, and she didn't use the words "thin", "skinny", or anything like that, just "healthy weight". Other than that, she just didn't keep a lot of junk food in the house, didn't let me eat whenever I wanted or whatever I wanted, and made sure I stayed active.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My daughter is almost 20 now, but she had this problem growing up too. She enjoyed eating and had a tendency to be a little bit overweight. It was hard because I didn't want to single her out and embarrass her. I tried to keep healthy foods in the house and to teach her that a treat is supposed to be a treat, not an every day thing. Encourage any activities she enjoys and do as much as you can with her, or with the whole family. Try not to talk too much about other people as fat or skinny, and make sure she knows that you see her as beautiful as well as smart and strong!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Can you do things as a family that would sub for the exercise she might get otherwise? Maybe a nightly walk after dinner, a long bike ride, a game of soccer in the back yard, etc. Eliminate junk foods and encourage her to look for neat healthy recipes that she would like to make. Like the PP said, don't focus on weight or appearance, but focus on her strengths, talents, and positive qualities. I wish I'd had a parent who'd cared enough to do these things for me...maybe I wouldn't have such a losing battle with weight.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 4:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• go rollerskating at a rink.. also join swimming classes.. and you can also take up some type of kickboxing or spinning classes.. also keep good healthy food int he house but dont be overly strict.. or the opposite effect will occur
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:07 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• how old is she? i know my favorite thing to do as a child was ride a bicycle, go for rides together as a family. it would even help your husband be a good role model
    and go grocery shopping by yourself. i dont let junk food make it into my shopping cart but i will have a special occasion food, like if we watch a movie and have ice cream. sweets and things should only be eaten rarely so have it on a certain night, maybe a family game night
    it sounds like you already know what you need to do you just have to stick with it. shell have a high self esteem knowing that she can keep herself busy and healthy
    learae

Answer by learae at 10:16 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Hi all ... thanks so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it.
    We do ice skate as a family and ski. We bought rollerblades and hoped to blade and bike together, but my 3 year old just wasn't up to it yet. Maybe next Spring. I'd love to join a gym together as a family, but the only gym near us doesn't allow kids to work out with you. It's like they're in their own gym area -- although that's great bc they're exercising, but I kind of felt like it was more time apart. I work fulltime and really value our time together as a family. I don't want to spend our precious time together working out separately -- does that make sense.
    It has really helped just talking about this and getting feedback. Again I really appreciate it! :o)
    TJOKELSO

Answer by TJOKELSO at 12:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I used to be a nutrition counselor and I counseled a few kids who had pre-diabetes, high BP, high cholesterol....so I think it's important to instill a healthy lifestyle from early on. Healthy eating and an active lifestyle is good for kids at any age. I used to do Tae Kwon Do and that is something that you may be able to do together and be physically active(and it has so many benefits besides weight loss...of course if your child is old enough).
    The most important thing though is not to stress out about food and weight too much, keep the focus on what's healthy and what's not.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2008