How to handle teenage sexting

I learned my teenage daughter pic messaged a topless photo of herself to a boy and he in return gave a photo to her. I found out when his parents came knocking on my door this afternoon. I'm so in shock I don't know what to do about it. I don't know how to handle punishment or what to say to her. I know I didn't raise her tp behave like this at all!! Please help me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would talk to her about how images can end up on the net, and affect her years later in life, tell her that his parents came by and how mortified you were and they were. You are embarrassed by her behavior, and so... no more picture messaging! You can block things on certain phones...just call the company. Sorry that happened, and good luck!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 11:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It's different experimenting with sexuality when you're a teenager in the digital age. You just need to invest time talking about the emotional implications of showing/using your body. The boy isn't going to want her to be his girlfriend; in fact he might use her and forward her pics onto other boys when he is done.

Talk about safe sex and the reason she should respect her body and save herself for someone who respects her.

Any boy that wants naked pics doesn't respect her and will never love her.
    Toadstoolmama

Answer by Toadstoolmama at 11:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Take away the cell phone. Disable texting before giving it back in a month or two.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would take the phone away for a period of time and return with no text /picture message options.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Take away the phone and internet privileges
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:03 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I was just a teen myself, that my not be the only thing she is doing not trying to scare you at all. All of my teen friends that are sexting also are sexually active, or about to be. Dont be afraid to ask her. she may get mad but your the mom not her and she may need you you just have to talk to her. But my mother asked me and i lied an became preg at the age of 15. just talk to her. tell her what you know. and you just want to know if you can help with any prb. keep an eye out. 

shumpysmom

Answer by shumpysmom at 12:07 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Just take away the phone for a month or two and before you return it turn off picture messaging and possibly texting
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• "Do what you want when your an adult, live in your own place and pay your own cell bill""......then take her phone away and leave it at that.

Phones are used for necessary communication and not recreation! :)
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 12:24 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• my daughter wouldn't have a phone anymore.
    glam.fairy

Answer by glam.fairy at 1:10 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Um...take away the phone, ground her from the computer and keep her away from that boy.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 3:28 AM on Jun. 2, 2011