Do you think it's considered racism?

....when a fair-skinned person is called "pasty" or "Casper" or "glowing", etc.? When they are told to go tanning because they are too white? When they are deemed as "unattractive" because of their skin color? Just wondering if anyone else thought of it that way.....

banana-bear

Asked by banana-bear at 12:10 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Just for Fun

• The race card can be used in so many ways against every ethinticity. I think it's shameful that anyone feels their so much better than anyone else and they can call out someones skin color, height, weight etc. They just show their insecurities. It's racism and judgemental! I raised my kids to not see color or disabilities. We are all the same.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Well not "racism". But its certainly rude. I'm very pale and can't tan. I only burn then turn white again. People can stuff it if they don't like my pale skin!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:11 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I wouldnt call it racism but definitely a form of bullying
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I'm with SalemWitchChild- i wouldn't call it Racism but, i would call it very disrespectful & whoever is saying things like that is a " Bully "

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:14 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• some people just can't tan... I don't think it's racist or anything sometimes it's stating a fact my skin is white the color of milk I don't and can't tan can't help it I've always been that way I don't let it bother me.

traren

Answer by traren at 12:18 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Why on earth did I get voted down twice? lol I didn't even say anything!
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:18 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Isn't it ironic how if someone is pale, they r told to tan. However when someone is dark complected they r seen as too dark? My SIL n cousins try to tan n get nowhere. But if SO n I tan ppl (family n friends) will make this face n say, wow u guys got dark. (not as a compliment.
    I don't see it as racism
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:20 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• LOL thanks :)
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:21 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Hmm. I think it is rude. I never even thought about that. If some one is on the pale side so what! I see no reason for a person to change the way they look unless they really want to.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:24 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I've been told similar things by other "white" people so I don't think of it as racist but definitely very rude. I prefer to be pale because my skin has always had a very pink or red under tone. So, when I do try to "tan", first if I stay in the sun for more that about an hour I'll look like a lobster and my skin will darken slightly after it goes down, but even when I'm careful to not burn my tan stays red which I don't know anyone else that does that and I don't really like it. Besides I grew up dancing and at some point noticed that the paler you are the more you show up on stage.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:30 AM on Jun. 2, 2011