Im thinking about having an all natural child birth, and only having a epidural if I have to have a c section. Is this a good or bad idea?

Marie141

Asked by Marie141 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Thats up to you. Nobody can decide if its a good choice for you or not only you can :) GL
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:19 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I know, but i would also like people opinions that have been there. I can read about it until I go into labor but I still wouldnt know whats its like, not like I would if i talked to someone who has been there, ya know? Im just trying to figure out what is best for me and baby...and its soo nerve racking!! lol
    Marie141

Comment by Marie141 (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Good idea! And kudos for choosing natural child birth. If you are able to do it that way then why not? I will tell you though from both of my experiences with natural child birth that you have to be mentally prepared for what's to come but it's completely worth it.

Check out this site, it has good info: http://www.babycenter.com/natural-childbirth
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:23 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• FIrst baby? Well I can tell you from my experience I had cramps that felt like I was holding in pee for 24 hours straight then it went into diarrhea cramps then felt like I had to take the worlds largest poop. But the worst by far was when the dr broke my bag but didn't get it the first time but had to go back in for a 2nd stab. That was the worst. Oh and the episiotomy healing was HORRIBLE I couldn't walk normal for 2 weeks.
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:24 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Honestly I didn't have an epidural......and all i can say is....you should know yourself. Know your tolerance for pain. If I would have had some sort of medicine maybe my birthing experience wouldn't have been so traumatic and maybe i would have been able to focus more on the beautiful child that I was birthing instead of the little monster who is literally ripping me apart :) just my personal thoughts. If you handle pain and stress well.....go fo it. You know you and don't second guess whatever decision you make.
    mommyunique

Answer by mommyunique at 12:25 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• hehe ya, and ouch! but natural child birth is so much safer for baby than having medicine. i am going to try for a natural child birth and I think that would be the best options, i am already having complications and dont want to risk my baby any more than need be.
    Marie141

Comment by Marie141 (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• What it's like? Well it's rough, very rough. For my first baby I was in labor 17 hours and and it was challenging because the pain of contractions is unlike anything you will ever feel, but if you come prepared you can do it! Women are strong and we are made for this. After I was fully dilated, my water broke, and the baby was out with one push and I felt great afterward. They say that's one of the advantages of natural child birth, that you feel okay quickly. My second baby I was in labor for 5 hours and for some reason that one was rougher, I threw up because of the pain but I stuck to my guns and again after only one push the baby was out. The pushing for both was less than 1 minute thankfully. The actually pushing for both felt like I was on fire but I was happy when the time came because that meant it was only minutes before my kids were in my arms. *Continued*
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:28 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• *Continued*

Natural childbirth was the right path for me, and I'm not going to lie I do feel empowered and strong because I was able to do it that way. It's the way I always wanted to have my kids. However if you choose to go with an epidural there is nothing wrong with that either, some labors are unbelievably long and there is only so much the body can take. Good luck with everything and there is a lot education out there when it comes to this so google away :)
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• awww!! i cant wait to have my baby....and yes i want a vaginal birth with no medication. i am hoping to anyways!!! i just hope everything goes well and i have no furth complications!!
    Marie141

Comment by Marie141 (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• OK I'm going to tell you from experience that you really need to have full meds during a c-section because my epidural got messed up and we where in the middle of an emergency cesarean when everything happened I realize my case is extreme but very true I had a cesarean without any meds and trust me you'll want them there is no reason for you to torture your body even more than an surgery already does.... so I for one say yes bad idea!!!!! I'm all for natural child birth I just think you should be fully medicated during a c-section!!!!

traren

Answer by traren at 12:33 AM on Jun. 2, 2011