Worried about how my soon to be 3 year old with react to having a baby sister to share her parents with.

Can anyone give me their insights on this. I'm worried about the transition of bringing home the new baby and how my daughter will react to having her in the house, and having to share her time with each of us. I feel anxious and stressed out by the thought of this. I feel like a lot of change is going to be taking place for my daughter, we recently put her in a twin bed to free up the crib for the new baby, and am hoping to have her potty trained before my due date. My kids will be 3 years apart.

LeesesMom

Asked by LeesesMom at 12:19 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Mine will b 3 yrs apart too! Our parent Ed teacher recommended buying older child a gift from new sibling the day u bring new baby home. Also, give her more
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Praise n attention (sorry my phone just cut me off)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:30 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• That's a good idea. We just put her in a twin bed, and she loves it, but she gets upset when we tell her the new baby is going to be sleeping in the crib.
    LeesesMom

Comment by LeesesMom (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• A few ways to avoid this fear is to stop fearing it. When you go into labor, she can make fabric paint a onesie for the baby, she can color a picture frame with markers, she can draw a picture for baby. When baby arrives ask for help from her, she will feel included, this will help the transition. 1 on 1 time whenever possible, ask friends & family to spend time with her too.
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 12:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I have 2 boys. They are 3 years and 3 months apart. I was nervous, too. I bought my son a baby doll, though, and he cared for that thing like it was real. Then, when Reid was born, Trevor became a great big brother. He loves helping. He always wants to feed him, give him the paci, play with him. Don't worry so much and try to include your DD in caring for the baby.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 1:12 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I have 2 boys. They are 5 years and 4 months apart. I was nervous, too. I bought my son a baby doll, though, and he cared for that thing like it was real. Then, when my second was born my oldest became a great big brother. He loves helping. He always wanted to help feed him, give him the pacifier, play with him. Don't worry so much and try to include your DD in caring for the baby, getting diapers, wipes, bottles, etc and bringing them to you; have her get involved in as much as possible and there should be no problem and when the baby is sleeping give her one on one time with mommy reading, playing with dolls, watching a movie, making cookies,etc.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My sons were 5and 3 when my youngest was born. We got them books about being a big brother and kept talking about how things would change but we would still love them. We try to make time for each child alone as well as a family. They also got the baby a gift. We also took them to the ultrasounds so they could see the baby. They were there when we found out the sex.
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I have two boys two years apart. I got my son a baby doll to take care of and I also when refering to the baby would say your brother jaden is kicking want to fell, your bother jaden was born. I made the baby his in a way which helped. GL
    Codragonfly

Answer by Codragonfly at 11:45 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would let her know that babies are 'a lot of work' and I will need her 'help' with the baby like get a clean diaper at diaper time, or have her pick out what outfit baby should wear that day.... make being a "big sister" into an important event. You could get her a special baby doll to be 'her baby' that she can take care of while you are busy with baby. A gift from new baby is a good idea as well-- who could resent someone that gives them a present? Be sure to pay some special attention to big sis, and ask that visitors talk to her or acknowledge her before oohhing and ahhing over new baby. Also when baby is napping make that time "special mommy/big girl" time- and do things with your older daughter. That way she has your full attention w/o baby.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2011