No American president since Franklin Delano Roosevelt has won a second term in office when the unemployment rate on Election Day topped 7.2 percent.

That's the opening line to the NYT article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/02/business/economy/02jobs.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&src=igw

Can Obama and the power of apathy buck that trend?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:53 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Good to hear!

Didn't read the article.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:01 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• YEAH!!! We're in luck then!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:42 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• – collapse

Seeing the republican nominees,,,,Seems Obama will be bucking that trend

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:58 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• **republican would be nominees

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:59 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think it's possible. Every step of the way we have been assured that more spending is necessary to get our economy back on track and it's time for him to be accountable for the decisions he has made while President. I am no more interested in being reminded about Bush's mess and how much work it is to clean up what he inherited. He has had time to net a positive result from sound policies, yet it hasn't happened. It seems that every policy that this administration has enacted has backfired or failed to net the results we were promised. I believe they have used risky practices to try to manipulate a positive result with quantitative easing, but some experts have said that conditions have to be perfect for that to work and the possibility of negative results were too high to take chances, yet the easing continutes. He seemed happy as a clam when he had a supermajority yet now that compromise is (cont.)

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:24 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• (cont.) necessary to accomplish anything, he seems more resentful of Republicans than ever.

I think there will be some that vote for him because they believe in his ideals and his policies.  There will be a good amount that will vote for or against him based solely on the color of his skin.  I think there will be some people that understand that he is adding to the damage and that he has no long term plan to improve the country as we know it.  People that will look at his actual track record and the results of his decisions, that will consider whether they feel his decision making is what we need for another 4 years.  I really don't know which way it will go, but the thought of another 4 years of him makes me very concerned about the future of our country.  I don't feel he is leadership material and his time so far in office has just solidified my opinion.  JMO. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Here's hoping Obama doesn't break that trend.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 9:21 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Well, that gives us some real hope after all, doesn't it?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:51 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• We are in a clear downturn now and it won't be long till even the blindest of the blind see it(whether or not they admit it is another thing). The Republican field is growing and if people will focus on the real issues and not the crap the media wants us to focus on there will be no way Obama can legally and ethically be reelected.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• All the repub nominee needs to do is focus on the economy.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 10:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2011