wth?!

ok, so i asked a question earlier about anemia and iron pills and someone, ANONYMOUS said constipation can cause preterm labor...is this real?!

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I could see how they would think that (constipation = bearing down harder when trying to have a BM) but you can push all you want and it isn't going to make you go into labor. If you do then it is just coincidence.

Think about it. If it was a risk then your doctor would warn you about it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i really don't think so, or atleast i've never heard of that. And if constipation did cause preterm labor, then there should be a whole lot of pregnant women in preterm labor because my doctor told me that most pregnant women have issues with constipation while pregnant.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 3:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• iv never heard of that i said and i dont think i posted anon that taking extra iron can cause constipation and to be sure to take ever fiber and drink water but i dont think it causes labor. i was just at the dr today complaining of constipation and he just gave me some nasty stuff to drink so it would get my bowls moving he didnt act like it was a big deal. some people dont know what they are talking about.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Not that I have ever heard of. I'm sure in extreme cases the pushing action could possibly trigger something but that's why you're NOT supposed to ever strain to pass something. Besides hemroids. And any pregnant woman who has had them will tell you do everything you can to AVOID hemeroids. And thus do everything you can to avoid constipation. Lots of fruit and lots of water and walk before you have to go.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i've had hemmoroids before, they suck!!!!!!! @ mommy2b, no i've had several questions posted today, this is not the first.
    Cowbell88

Answer by Cowbell88 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Yes I had a book that the doctor gave me with my first pregnancy saying that constipation could cause preterm labor. I talked to a nurse about it and it's not from pushing or anything it's just from the extra stress on your body that is why you should try to not get constipated. It sucks and could be difficult but I was constipated with my first pregnancy but I didn't have preterm labor. If you get constipated drink lots of water, eat foods high in fiber, go for walks, and metamucil works and is natural (it doesn't taste the best though).
    Anonymous