Do you think society gets crazier during the holidays?

I have noticed not only on the news but in my home town that people on a whole just get so rude and unhappy during this time of year. I mean first we start Christmas out on "black Friday" and some poor kid gets trampled to death at Walmart. We also have these long lines at post offices, long lines at stores, and busy traffic! I mean what ever happened to the real meaning of Christmas? My family decided this year that everyone gets one present and can't spend more than 60 bucks. I am so tired of all the Bull SH@$ that happens this time of year. Oh and is anyone else sick of all the sob stories of desperate mothers begging people CafeMom to give them money/ presents for their family for Christmas? If you can't afford to give your family gifts for Christmas then don't give them gifts! It is not the end of the world and there are bigger things to worry about!! Does anyone else agree????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Holidays

• No actually I dont agree. I do think the meaning of christmas gets lost but its our job to teach our kids anyway, not someone elses. As for moms needing help I can understand since I was a single mom who struggled and one year someone brought buy a ton of gifts and I couldnt have been more greatful for the giving spirit and selflessness they showed by doing that.
    Im not in that boat anymore and my kids are getting tons for christmas because I can give it to them. They know the meaning of christmas anyway. And the guy who got killed on black friday wasnt a kid he was in his 30s and worked there. There are always going to be good and bad in anything you see, its just how you choose to view things I guess. I choose to look at the positive.
    Anonymous

• So then what do you think the meaning of Christmas is? Santa? Did you forget this is a religious holiday and not Santa and getting presents?
    Anonymous

• Last year we were out Christmas shopping and there was a couple in the parking lot screaming at each other. At the same time my husband and I look at each other and say "It must be Christmas." People get really stressed out this time of year because the entire season has become so commercialized. On top of that, if you are anything like our family, you have to plan to meet with 4 or 5 different families at different times and different places. I do however, feel that all children should get to feel the joy of waking up on Christmas and seeing presents under the tree. I don't think these women want to get their husbands or parents or siblings presents, but just their children. All mothers want to see their children happy and this time of year, that is what really gets them.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• You can easily teach your children the meaning of the holiday and give gifts too. This season teaches the gift of giving. My child, 7, has been saving his money all year to buy Christmas presents. His name always goes on our gifts as well, but he wants to do something from him. He gets spoiled on his birthday and on Christmas,, but he is stil a very sweet, caring, child. It is all the way you teach it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Yeah, I agree about all the commercialism. As far as moms on here begging for help, I think they just want Christmas to be nice for their kids and I TOTALLY understand and sympathize with that. There but for the Grace and blessings of God go I. I just thank the Lord that our Christmas is not going to be a poor one.i would just deal with it if that were the case,but I know many people could not just be ok with not giving and receiving gifts. I agree that the people are much greedier in society now and seem to have forgotten that it's not about us it is the celebration of the fact that God became a man and dwelt among us.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 3:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I agree! I hate those kind of people who ask others to give them money and give their kids gifts. It is so tacky and rude! I would never ask a stranger for money and to give my kids presents. It is a part of life and that is what I teach my kids. Not everything is free and don't expect great things to always happen. If you act like a charity case then you will be a charity case your whole life! I grew up on the streets and didn't ask anyone for anything. Now I am a college graduate and an executive at a bank. I worked to get where I am today and I dont appreciate the people who beg and ask for charity for a living.
    Anonymous

• 1)I think people do gt a little crazier but it's kinda part of it.
    2) What happened at that Wal-Mart was horrible but not a common thing. The crowd was to big and there was not enough security. That was the Wal-Marts mistake. It's fun for some people to go out and shop in the 'craziness'
    3)lines at the post office are part of the Christmas package (no pun intended) Christmas card to wish other well, gifts for people out of state...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:11 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• 4)Yes, the true meaning of Christmas is lost for some people but for others it is still there and still on the forefront but the other stuff is part of it to. Goodwill, remembering others who you don't see often enough, sharing the love and helping others, they are all part of the Christmas season.
    5) I have not seen one person here beg for money or gifts. I have seen people asking for help in finding what they need or were they should look for assistance but not beg. (yet) Even people with little money want o do for there children. How awful it must feel to know all of your children friends are getting gifts and you have no money to buy for yours...
    But_Mommie

• 6)yes commercialism sucks. But it's how it is and there is nothing you or I can do about it. Enjoy this time. Don't let something you can't control ruin it for you or your family. Ignore what you don't like and try to see the good in the rest. This is supposed to be a time of giving and reflection and Joy! Try to let it go and be at peace you will enjoy yourself more.
    But_Mommie

• 7) there is nothing wrong with one gift that is all my family does b/c it is what we can afford everyone does what they can but I also think that everyone deserves at least one small gift. My Dh and I sept 20 each. It's the act of giving not the gift that matters.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2008