What is your belief on spanking?

Please give me your opinion on this topic and why you have decided to spank or not to spank

ama311

Asked by ama311 at 1:30 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I believe its an effective form of discipline in my house. I chose to spank because it works for us. I'm proud to say I have a happy healthy well mannered 7 year old.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:32 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I spank because it works for me and the way my husband and I raise our kids. I don't spank for any little thing, it is the last resort. Also spanking is not abuse, those are two very different things.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:35 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• THERE IS A THINLINE BETWEEN DISIPLINE AND ABUSE AND NOW DAYS PEOPLE CROOS THAT LINE FREQUENTLY. BUT PERSONALLY I BELIEVE U SHOULD START OFF WITH TIME OUT AND AS THEY GET OLDER THE PARENT SHOULD DECIDE WETHER IT IS NECESSARY FOR THE CHILD OR NOT. SOME CHILDREN DNT NEED AS MUCH DISIPLINE AS OTHERS. BUT WHEN YOU SPANK A CHILD TOO OFTEN IT USUALLY DOSENT WORK AND THEY BECOME IMMUNE TO THE PUNISHMENT. I REMEMBER WHEN I WAS YOUNGER ALL MY MOTHER HAD TO DO IS TELL ME THAT I COULD NOT GO OUTSIDE FOR THE WEEKEND AND THAT WAS ENOUGH FOR ME TO STOP. BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE WHEN I GOT WAY OUT OF LINE MY MOTHER WOULD POP ME RIT BAK INTO PLACE!!
    Delilahzmummy

Answer by Delilahzmummy at 1:35 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I spank, but it takes a lot before I resort to a spanking. Matter of fact my daughters haven't gotten a spanking in over 3 or 4 months. When I was younger I got spankings 3 licks with a belt. Those were also rare. I feel like kids have to understand who the boss is. WAY to often do I see children falling ou in grocery stores and telling their parents what they will and won't to. Those kids need a good spanking. For my kids the fear of getting a spanking is usually enough to settle them down. Kids who don't get spankings feel like there are no consequences for their actions, so they act like wild banchees.
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 1:40 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• This is a topic that i feel VERY strongly about. I have choosen not to spank at all for any reason. I feel that we are taught in our society that putting our hands on another person is illegal and often times punishable in the eyes of the justice system I think that by spanking parents are sending the wrong message. Whie our children are in school, they are not permitted to strike anyone at anytime. Spanking your children is telling them that its ok to lay your hands on someone else. Love and any type of negative physical contact do not mix...
    ama311

Comment by ama311 (original poster) at 1:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Well thats your opinion, fortunately enough we live in a country where we can agree to disagree and everyone has the right to discipline their children in their own way. The way you raise your children is what works for you and the way I raise my child is what works for me. Not every family is the same and we all have different beliefs and different ways of doing things.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:01 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Spanking is chaotic and impulsive, often used out of frustration. I think spanking has it's place....never with taking a time (mom/dad) out before approaching this method of discipline, never when mom/dad angry.

Crazy, because in our society we serve time for assaulting another, yet we fight wars that lead to death???
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 2:10 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• i try not to
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 2:11 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I can and do respect that those are your views;-). I will ask though what benefit are you seeing by using spanking as a method of discipline? I just dont understand why people for any reason will lay their hands on especially their children. I just dont get it at all..if you strike ANYONE in society it is considered battery. So why as a society have we decided that we are allowed to strike our children, although if done someone else in life you can and probably would be aressted. just a topic and throwing things out there;-)
    ama311

Comment by ama311 (original poster) at 2:14 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I dont feel that way at all. My siblings and I got spanked and we didnt grow up as confused kids wondering why we got spanked but were told not to hit other kids. We understood we had completely broken the rules with mama and that was our punishment. We are all perfectly fine and normal adults who also spank when it is necessary which like I said isn't often. I promise you I can spot the kids who dont get whoopings. They scream and holler at their parents in public. They fall out and scream Nooooooo at the top of their lungs. Its sad and embarrassing. Kudos to you though if you have a respectable kid without having to resort to spankings every once in a while.
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 2:17 AM on Jun. 2, 2011