How much do you spend on your children's birthday parties?

I'm curious how much everyone spends on their children's birthday parties?

Usually, it's just our kids and us, and the total cost is around $50 for decorations and food, plus about $40-50 for a present...

My DS is turning 4 on Saturday. He's having his first party with friends. The present was $40. The food $100 (including cake supplies, snacks, drinks, etc). The decorations were $80. The bounce house is $100. And, since it's an outside party, we rented tables and chairs to the total of $50. So, just shy of $400. I about died when my DH called me to tell me that he rented the bounce house. Because one of our DD"s birthdays is next month, and now he wants to do a big shabang for her too (which I get--she sees her brother getting a cool party, she'll want one), but it's going to be another $300-400.

So, I want to know how much everyone else spends? I think it seems like A LOT.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have spent $100-$300.

I don't think it seems like a lot because kids are kids for such a short time and it's nice to celebrate childhood and have great times together, you can't put a price on that.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:40 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• For my sons first b-day I just had a dinner and small party. I was cheap. My mom made the food, And we used the decoratons we had from the baby shower, blue and brown theme, and then we bought him a present, so not much at all. like Maybe 100
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:42 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think the most I've spent was 300 including gifts. We try to keep it around 200 now though. 100 on gifts and 100 on food (chucky cheese, incredible pizza, etc and cake and ice cream)
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 1:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I spend too much we got a jumper that was 200 and a cake that was 175 and the decorations was about 60 the goody bags was about 200 parents paid the food it was about 150 then the pinatas and candy about 100 and chairs and tables 100. I liked it but my son did not enjoy it so not worth it...
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 1:51 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Since the beginning of this year I managed to save $60, which was quiet an effort due to our really small budget. This will have to do. Not sure yet what we're going to do with it. Have a day out, just the tree of us. Or invite some of her friends. I got her birthday present right after christmas; a fairy dress and wings - she loves that stuff. Grandma and grandpa sent sweets and a barbie doll.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I spend about 50 on decorations, about 100 on food since there are adults too, then the presents range anywhere fro 50-100, just depends on what he gets. I feel he is pretty spoiled. I never got awesomely themed birthdays. Last yr was Iron man 2, the year before Pirates, his 2nd was cars. For his 5th he wants either spiderman or dinosaurs. im thinking a double theme? Spiderman goes back in time haha
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:18 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Im looking at about $150 for my dd1s 1st birthday (not including her outfit) in Oct and another $500 in NON food and another $300-400 in food for my daughters 3 Anos Presentacion in Dec.

Yay me........lol.
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 5:39 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• We keep it fairly cheap. We have friends of ours and DS's over. (His 6th birthday party is this month) We cook out burgers and hot dogs, throw some chips and 2 liter drinks. We bought a bounce house a couple of years ago, because we frequently have cookouts and figured it was the better option. (Plus a friend was going to rent one for her DD's birthday, and I told her we had one. She is an AMAZING beautician, and she gave me free hair care for a while) Not including DS's gifts, I'd say we are spending about 200..maybe. I don't even think that much.
    MedicMommy

Answer by MedicMommy at 6:59 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• We spend between $5-20. The food for the party comes out of our grocery budget, so I don't spend extra. Our oldest child is 5 years old and he and the 4 year old now get presents for their siblings. So that is why we now probably spend about $20. Other than that I just plan the menu from what we have in the house. I make the cake, etc.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:15 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• roughly $200.00 not including gifts!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 2, 2011