is too late to introduce a pacifier @ 4months old? I am nursing my 4month ild and when she is fussy she uses me as a pacifier...any help. she wont take the botle or pacifier. has anybody introduce the pacifier @4 months old? how did you get him/her to do it.

I am nursing my 4month ild and when she is fussy she uses me as a pacifier...any help. she wont take the botle or pacifier. has anybody introduce the pacifier @4 months old? how did you get him/her to do it

mommaf4

Asked by mommaf4 at 4:57 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Good Luck! I feel your pain! My dd did the same thing. She never took a pacifier except to play with. eventually she would take a bottle. I was told to "learn to love the extra bonding time".... I hope it works for you!
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 5:00 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think it's possible - my youngest actually didn't like binkies at all until around 4 months, and now she's 2 years and we're trying to get rid of it. :-P Haha. Keep offering it when she's fussy, eventually she may take to it. If not, maybe you could try different methods of distraction? Offer her a soft lovey to cuddle, hugs and songs (without using you as a pacifier ;-) haha), etc. GL!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 5:06 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Even if you have to keep being her pacifier, this phase will end! I promise. :) It most likely will be a short phase anyway.

Just a thought, but could she be going through a growth spurt? One of my children was really fussy during growth spurts. And then she really needs to be attached to you in order to up your supply.

Only one child of my four, ever took a pacifier. It might work, it might not! Hang in there. Soon she won't even want to be next to you and will be off running around! :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:11 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I have a friend who's daugther didn't take one until she was 4 and the baby was pretty much EBF.. but my five month old still won't take one (her three year old sister would STILL have one though if I didn't get rid of them all, i think I finally found the last of her "stash" and yes she is THAT attached to her paci). lol.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• She may, or she may not. since she is EBF you might want to try one of the "natural shape" ones. Some babies just really have a preference and won't take any others. My son will only take the nuk airflow ones that are orthodontic.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 8:49 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Keep trying with the pacifier. I had to. My LO wouldn't take it at first either, but I didn't want to be a pacifier, so I just kept putting one in his mouth when he wasn't eating. We had to try a few different ones for DS1 before he found one he liked. An expensive problem, but you it might be worth your while.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 4:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2011