Have you ever adopted a............

Have you ever adopted a child who was born a premature baby, A child who was born a Drug Addicted Newborn. Or a child who was born a Special Needs Newborn?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Adoption

• Our daughter was a 9 week preemie...
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:25 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• We've not adopted her but our youngest foster is a drug and alcohol exposed baby.

Our son (age 5) and daughters (age 24, 9 and 2) were all exposed to substances prenatally and are adopted.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 2:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Both of my kids were drug exposed in-utero - DD for the first 4 months and DS for the whole 9 months. DS was born with meth in his system and is classified as special needs. He does have some developmental delays, mainly in the area of speech. DD has some behavioral issues. Both were adopted as infants. They are a blessing, and the only thing I would change is that I wish that had not happened in their lives. I wish there was more info for people considering doing this. I would recommend adopting a child in one of these situations, but just go in with your eyes wide open. It may be a bumpy ride for a while.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:23 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• yes. I adopted a premature newborn who was drug exposed and labeled "special needs". You can read our story and see her here http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-always-knew-i-wanted-to-breastfeed-my.html

She will be 2 years old in a few weeks and she is wonderful! She is 100% healthy and developmentally on track. A real sweet heart!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2011