What happens with a newborn born addicted to methadone in the NICU?

What happens with a newborn born addicted to methadone, when they are in the NICU?

I have never personally raised a child that was born with this "addiciton" but with my job I deal alot with babies in the NICU and certain circumstances like this. With my experiences, they won't just let the baby go "cold turkey" once he or she is born. they will give the baby very low doses of the methadone to help wean baby off of the drug. The baby will probably be low birth weight, or even born premature and have to spend extra time in the NICU/PICU. You will be lucky if the baby only has to spend a few weeks in the NICU because the premature methadone addicted babies I've dealt with have had to spend a month-2 months under care until they are able to eat on their own, and maintain a somewhat regular body temperature, and are peeing/pooping regularly. In the begining baby will probably be very drowsy and sleepy, but once the methadone wears off a bit she will probably get cranky and cry.All babies handle this situation differently, some babies run temperatures/vomit, others have problems using the bathroom on their own and staying warm, some babies just sleep and don't really have any side effects other than sleepiness, it just depends. I know it breaks your heart that this baby is going to have to suffer from this terrible withdrawl when it wasn't her fault, but she will be just fine:) The dr's are not going to let the baby suffer in pain, and it's not going to be as bad as you think:) As a child, he or she will probably be completely normal and healthy:) There is a risk with learning disabilities such as ADD and ADHD and things like that, but that isn't anything major that you can't handle:) I hope that you are able to adopt this baby because since he/she will be off to a rough start in life, she needs stable parents who will love and teach her a "normal" life. Good Luck, you and baby will get through it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 AM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• im sorry is ther a question i missed??
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 10:22 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Well I hope that mom is in treatment too and that reunification is a possibility.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:40 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• i hope the baby will get out and be heathly and happy ..i understand addiction is hard but as a mom i cant see how you could contiune to keep feeding your addiction,yes i know that if mom stops cold turkey then it can hurt the baby too. im sry hearing stories like this break my heart and id take that baby in a heart beat if i could!!! hopefully that babies mother gets herself clean and staying clean and hopefully a family member of hers can take the baby and when shes well again the baby can return to her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wish for the best for all involved
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 2, 2011