Can babies experience insomnia?

I have a 12 week old who has some other health issues going on (scheduled for surgery in the morning) But I am just curious if anyone ever had an infant diagnosed with insomnia. My son is up for almost 20 hours a day no matter what I do. He isn't unhappy all the time but obviously exhausted. He literally has bags under his eyes from sleep deprivation. We were supposed to see our doctor this morning but we got 6 inches of snow so we rescheduled for Friday. But what do you guys think? It' s been going on now for about 2 weeks

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think they can be sleep deprived... but I don't think they could have insomnia like adults have. I guess I would try everything you can think of to help him get some rest. Swaddles, white noise, swings, rocking , holding... whatever it takes. He is going to need to be well rested for surgery.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Maybe he will sleep better after his other health issues are taken care of. At that age, I am sure he is not worried about anything, that is for sure.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2008